Featured Would Appreciate Help on Style, Age, Value of Antique Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SLP, Jan 7, 2021.

1. SLP

SLP Member

Hi all, new here. I have an antique dresser that has been in my family that I will be selling locally because I won't have a place for it in my new home. I just don't know how much to ask for it or its value in general. Any insight on style, age & a fair price to list it for would be greatly appreciated. There is writing on the bottom boards but I can only read a first name and that is was made in Lehigh County, PA. Thank you so much.

dresser 1.jpg dresser 3.jpg dresser 4.jpg dresser 7.jpg dresser 8.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How long has it been in your family?

Debora

KikoBlueEyes, TraceyB and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would say men's dresser ca. 1860s-1870s, walnut. Love the bird's eye maple burl. Looks pristine until you look at the top, which needs work. Kind of a unique piece, at least for my part of the Midwest, where it might bring $300 or so at auction, more if the top matched the rest. Nice piece!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very nice ! Did someone keep plants on it ??? Id find a way to keep it,even if I had to lose a closet ! Such a beautiful piece,and obviously loved over the years. Such a wonderful color.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's very handsome.

Debora

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! What is the height of the chest/dresser?

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to do more research on the writing on the back if possible. Are you near Lehigh County, PA? The Moravians settled there, wonder if this is the cabinet maker's name? Would think this might have special interest for someone living in that area.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what a nice piece......and ya..it was loved......
    too bad it doesn't have a family connection, strong enuf for you to keep it....

9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, it's a Tall chest, sometimes called a Tall Boy.
    Are those drawer pulls original? The chest reminds me of "Soap Hollow" furniture from Somerset County Pennsylvania. That furniture is painted and yours isn't but still, almost looks painted or has a wash. Guesses 1830 or so, the style is Sheraton.
    Very nice chest, don't worry about the top being unfinished, it's not supposed to be as most people can't see it anyway.:)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  10. James Conrad

I wouldn't rush into selling this, are you in Pennsylvania? I'd call Pook & Pook, email them some photos, and see what they say.
    It has cock beaded drawer fronts and 1/2 turned columns with some very well executed veneer decoration. Your chest was built by a professional who knew what he was about, check with Pook. It might be someone important, It costs you nothing to ask.
    Very impressive piece and looks to be in very good condition. Value would be in the $1000.- $2000 range unless built by someone who is well known and then would depend on who that someone is. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  11. James Conrad

A quicky search on Pook for Tall Chests

Sold in 2015 for $2880. Sheraton 1830, very good condition with original glass pulls yellow cock beaded drawers

tall chest pookR.jpg

Sold in 2014 for $840. Sheraton 1830, very good condition with original glass pulls

tall pookR.jpg

12. SLP

SLP Member

Thank you so much for this. Very helpful! Much appreciated.

13. SLP

SLP Member

I am no longer in PA but some of my family is. I will reach out to that site you mentioned. Thank you!

14. SLP

SLP Member

Yes, those are the original drawer pulls as far as I know.

15. SLP

SLP Member

I am still on the fence. :)

16. SLP

SLP Member

I wish I could read all of the writing. I'm sure it's the maker's information.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and James Conrad like this.
  17. SLP

SLP Member

64.5" h, 41" w, 19.5" deep

18. SLP

SLP Member

Thank you!

19. SLP

SLP Member

I am really not sure but it's been at least a few generations.

20. James Conrad

That's a PLUS value-wise, collectors like original pulls and, those are "soap hollow" glass type pulls. Search soap hollow & you'll see what I mean.

If you have a black light, that would help in a dark room, would reveal more detail on chalk marks which were almost certainly left by the maker of the chest.

Aquitaine, komokwa, SLP and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted