Would like some help identifying age of ancient dagger Roman or Hittite?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Lark, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Any information would be appreciated. 9" long IMG_20221126_101019063 (1).jpg IMG_20221126_100954110.jpg IMG_20221126_100942327.jpg

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not sure it is either, Lark. Have you seen something similar from either culture?
    I know Persian Luristan daggers can have fancy hilt shapes, but I've never seen one like this.
    I also know there are a lot of fake ancient bronze daggers, but couldn't say for sure if this is one of them. The casting of the hilt looks a bit uneven, and it looks like the ridge on the blade is slightly off centre in parts. It could be due to the light in the photos.
    These are only my observations, for what they're worth. For authentication I advice you to contact a museum.

Figtree3, sabre123 and kyratango like this.
  3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I do know that with 99.9% reliability that it is the real thing. But thank you for taking a look at it. I do have a few other things I would like to run by you after I get the pictures taken. Rather cloudy today and cold.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'll abide by what you say........though I would love to hear you back up the 99.9 percent with hard facts...

looks like a letter opener to me..!:wacky:.....

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Purchased in the early 1960's by a very knowledgeable collector who has since passed away and I can no longer ask him the specifics. If you google Hittite or Roman daggers you will find several similar. This fits in the hand for a secure grip and stabbing motion.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If you could identify the decorative part of the blade, I mean what the iconography or images are... maybe that would help? I don't know whether they are clearly cast enough to identify.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

there are no images. There are v shaped designs are very clear but that is all there is. The shape is more typical i believe of the Hittites than the Romans at least what i see on google images. Thanks for looking.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

the Irish handle......has the protrusions ....but manageable ...

[​IMG]

a hittite sword with handle protrusions..

.... I'm just not seeing something I can confidently compare it to....:sorry:

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Would have been purchased in Turkey

10. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

thanks for your research. When I first saw the finger grooves I thought they would be uncomfortable but they fit well in the hand and provide a very firm grip.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Thinking of the La Tène dagger komo posted, together with the Turkish provenance: There were Celts in Turkey. They migrated from Thrace in SE Europe to Galatia (Celtia) in Anatolia, and had a Celtic culture, also during the La Tène period.

"La Tène culture's territorial extent corresponded to what is now France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, England, Southern Germany, the Czech Republic, parts of Northern Italy and Central Italy,[4][5] Slovenia and Hungary, as well as adjacent parts of the Netherlands, Slovakia,[6] Serbia,[7] Croatia,[8] Transylvania (western Romania), and Transcarpathia (western Ukraine).[9] The Celtiberians of western Iberia shared many aspects of the culture, though not generally the artistic style. To the north extended the contemporary Pre-Roman Iron Age of Northern Europe, including the Jastorf culture of Northern Germany and all the way to Galatia in Asia Minor (today Turkey)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Tène_culture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatia

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you AJ. This one was one that my father had identified as the older in his collection. Most of the others were byzantine. As always a wealth of knowledge. You remind me of my father, always making connections based on observed details. I am going to pursue that line of research.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I feel honoured, Lark.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted