Featured Woven 5 ft panel, sort of modernist, how to describe?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not normally what I buy but was attracted to the modern design. This was at the sale with the thimble box. I think it is wool.

Measures almost 5ft long x 22". At first I thought it was just two panels sewn together with a little spot for a dowel up top, but it is a little more complicated.

Front and back are sort of a mirror image, woven independently except in sections. Some of the black parts are woven together, but the orange parts woven independently. So when you reach your hand in between the fabric, it stops at some of the black sections. Hope I'm describing this correctly.

My neighbor who does quilting was over and looked and thought there was a word for this. All she could think of was "double weave" but she didn't think that was the word she was trying to remember.

So looking for that keyword, also general thoughts or keywords.

Pics show front and back:

weave1.jpg weave3.jpg weave4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The colors make me think African,for what thats worth.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks, Johnny.

It was from the Russian history professor's estate. Not that this makes me think of Russian or anything. Could easily be from the U.S. or another country.

Still hoping someone who knows weaving might know a keyword for this style of weaving where some of the colors are connected and others not. My neighbor who does quilting was pretty excited when she saw that. I guess it is not standard, and might be a clue to origin possibly.

cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the fibers look itchy....:oops:

5. Lucille.b

It is a wall panel or some kind of curtain, so no one has to wear it, luckily.

I have established that it is wool though. Not too scratchy in the hand, but definitely wool.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

What would Rorschach say, if I said I see buildings? :oops:

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say 1950s Mid-century-modern "artistic" wall hanging. It could be Scandinavian and could have been done elsewhere.

8. Lucille.b

thanks for the responses so far.

@evelyb30 I always think of you as someone who knows about woven items and fabric. Any idea for the name when something is woven like that? Some of the black is woven together, not sewn together but woven front and back. All of the orange is woven separately. Still looking for a word...

judy and i need help like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The closeup looks to me like a very loose weave.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not a clue; I'm mostly a quilter and I'm literally allergic to wool. It's some kind of artistic hand-woven whatsit. I can see it with those teak and orange fabric chairs from the 50s and early 60s and the wood paneling.

11. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Have you checked it closely for intitials? I’ve seen signed woven tapestries with the initials of the artist almost blend in with the weaving, like a different shade of black in the black area.
    I like it a lot!

cxgirl, Christmasjoy, reader and 5 others like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m in love too! No clue where it’s from but my vibe is Scandinavian also which wouldn’t be out of line for someone interested in Russia since Norway and Finland are spittin’ distance.

It has that classic 60s-70s hipster look and palette which is so collectible. You can drive yourself nuts with research and I can show it to a friend who weaves for you but if you’re selling it on the internet all you need is some combo of MCM Architectural Wool Tapestry Fiber Art Hanging Orange Black Multi 60”x22”

Put a high price on it with a Best Offer and I think you’ll sell it quickly.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks handwoven, perhaps on a small tapestry loom. Can you please post photos of the front and back of one of the bottom corners, where the black and orange threads reverse, including the bottom edge and selvage edge, and with the long dimension (presumably the warps) oriented vertically in the photo. I may be able to give a better description of the technique.

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Perhaps @Taupou would have a clue.
    Patd

15. Lucille.b

Checked for initials, none to be found. Thanks for the suggestions, Anund.

I think Reader's keywords are going to get me started. I searched, MCM wool fiber art tapestry and not seeing this exact one of course, do think that is going to be how to market this. Not sure we will be able to find the maker, maybe that's okay.

But to answer one ques, just realized I may not have taken the right photos, but hope this helps, 2Many.

atap2.jpg

This is the part where some is connected other parts not. Also you get to see that there is some kind of animal hair on this from the former owner, I think I might need to have it dry cleaned (will that work for something like this?) Was going to ask over at the dry cleaner. Other wise might use light tape or something.

So area below is open:

atap3.jpg

But not the black part. That is woven to the other side.

atap4.jpg

(I turned the chopstick around so the pointed end didn't go in.)

Anyway, if there is some name for this type of weave, I'll add it in, but now thinking is will sell on its vintage/decorative merits.

More thoughts certainly welcome, but feel like I have a good start on this.

Thanks!:happy:

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and reader like this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I really believe you’ll be pleasantly surprised and truly think you have more than enough info to find it a new home.

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  17. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think the technical description would be "interchanging double cloth".

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Thank you Reader and 2many. :happy::happy:

I appreciate the help with this.

Christmasjoy and reader like this.
  19. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I agree... although, such things resembling it in printed form did come out of the Scandinavian countries for a time.
    Leslie

20. Lucille.b

I remember this piece. Seems like a decade ago, but now see that it was only a year ago! Long since sold on Ebay.

I think it sold for $140, might have been $125.

Draft saved Draft deleted