Featured Woven Basket

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 20, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I've never bought baskets before and never even looked at them. Somehow this caught my eye. Any idea of origin and age?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I can't help but wanted to say --

Wonderful photos, Kardinalisimo. ;)

Pat P, Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's from Lombok, Indonesia. Similar ones are made in other Asian countries, especially the Philippines, but those usually have a square base, and the similar ones from China usually have a different type of start, and a characteristic "U" shaped pattern of weaving.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's much nicer and more refined and bigger than the one's I'm used to seeing & I'm sure the single rod coiling makes it hard as a football....( not a Pat's football.! ) & I'd suspect there's some age to it too !

KingofThings likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

6. kardinalisimo

Seems like it is indeed an "ulbong", container used for storage of milled rice.
    Either by Ifugao or Bantok native people.
    I thought the basket was stained but I found this:

"The black color of Bontok storage baskets, like that of the Ifugao's, results from the special heat-conserving construction of the houses. There are no windows, and the smoke from the hearth tends to permeate the small structure, resulting in a sooty black finish on many objects that remain indoors"

http://class.csueastbay.edu/anthropologymuseum/virtmus/Philippines/Crafts/Bontok_basketry.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted