Featured Woven rug/tapestry

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by AnaK, Nov 5, 2019.

1. AnaK

AnaK Member

Lovely large woven wool rug/tapestry. Any ideas of the origin/maker. French? D21F69A9-C24B-491E-99B5-D12F93BFBBDD.jpeg 4C237072-9BB7-4CAF-96EF-3EEC34EB7598.jpeg 73F09BC0-27C7-4684-B49F-A7EF5BD523DB.jpeg BBFFFA73-A71B-4093-872D-03C822C8FCB3.jpeg BB703630-9A0E-4CE8-B77F-BEA6DC71FFCC.jpeg 5472BB4C-504B-4DC4-BB46-8A9D278F2748.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, AnaK.
    Beautiful. It looks embroidered to me.

judy, scoutshouse and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree with AJ. Both very pretty and embroidery. The underside shows why.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lovely and... so much work! But, I don't see embroidery; I see needlepoint.

Debora

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

and of course, you are correct. Debora!

Debora and scoutshouse like this.
  6. AnaK

AnaK Member

Thank you! Any suggestion for the origin? Possible timing?

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Floral Berlin woolwork...

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

9. AnaK

AnaK Member

Thank you very much!!!!!! I will research! On this subject, I bought it to put on the floor, but is it more appropriate to hang on the wall?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Where, may I ask, did you find it? Would have taken a good amount of time (and love) to make. Can't imagine someone parting with it lightly. That said... Could have been commercially made. There are still places -- Portugal for one -- where that type of work is still done.

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's one. Bet it is Portuguese. From Arraiolos. And, enjoy on the floor. That's where it's meant to be.

Debora

il_570xN.1336093017_j5xv.jpg

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  12. AnaK

AnaK Member

I bought it 2 years ago In Charlotte nc in An antique store but there was no info with it. It was on the floor in a spare bedroom but I also thought it was too much for to be on the floor. It appears to be older rather than newer.... but very interesting selection of colors.... very dense stitching.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. AnaK

AnaK Member

And thank you - I will look at the Portuguese rugs as well!!!

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

On second look, what with shading, that may be too elaborate a pattern for an Arraiolos. If I had to guess at dating, I'd think 1960s. And owned by someone of taste and refinement.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. scoutshouse

I forgot my customary question mark :)

Would you still call this woolwork, @Debora ?

Etsy
    Debora's example

Have fun looking at Asmara article "What is a needlepoint rug?" :)
    Theres

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I had to look up the definition of woolwork! And given this from Merriman-Webster -- "needlework (as embroidery on canvas or knitting) made with wool" -- I can now say confidently that yes, I would.

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

It looks like a French Aubusson rug to me. Just my opinion.

scoutshouse likes this.
  18. AnaK

AnaK Member

Thank you. I have been thinking a lot about the Aubusson. I thought it originally as well, because of the "impressionism painting" like quality of work. it is an incredibly skilled design and implementation. this speaks of "european exclusive school" level. But this is needlepoint work... the back side knots do not look like aubusson, but then maybe i need to do a lot more research on this subject. :) thank you all again.

scoutshouse and hamptonauction like this.
  19. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

We have had several of these 'rugs'. They were intended for use as a rug but the work is so beautiful that they are rarely used that way. The most successful wall hangings I have seen had the rugs mounted on a lattice and lightly attached here and there to reduce an sagging. Good luck with your mounting.

20. AnaK

AnaK Member

What a great suggestion regarding lattice mounting!! Thank you!!! Quick question: When you say you had several of these rugs, you refer to a handmade needlepoint?! :)

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted