WOW WHAT IS THIS?! OLD CARNY FLYER/POSTER SAYING BE GOOD CITIZENS & VOTE + THANKING FAIRGROUNDS

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 27, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this in a box of stuff left to me by my mom. She grew up in a carnival & I think this poster/flyer was a internal (for carnival & fairground owners and workers) piece mailed or given to workers?
    I understand the thanking the fairgrounds they played at, but why so much on being a good citizen? Maybe this was from during the cold war & it was a civic duty thing?
    Any other ideas? - I'd really like to know what this was!
    Thanks!

COLLECTIBLE CARNIVAL FLYER CITIZENS RESPONSIBILITIES 1AAZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE CARNIVAL FLYER CITIZENS RESPONSIBILITIES 2AAZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE CARNIVAL FLYER CITIZENS RESPONSIBILITIES 4AAZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE CARNIVAL FLYER CITIZENS RESPONSIBILITIES 4BAAZ.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Likely produced during the Red Scare of the late 1940s and 1950s. Clothing supports those dates.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Value (if resale is your objective) probably with Gypsy Rose Lee.

Debora

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    PortableTreasures and bluumz like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Text tells you that it was targeted to "The Managers and Board of Directors of the following fairs and exhibitions" with "Our sincere thanks." Think it was just a way to show how patriotic the company was.

Debora

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Even though I don't collect it, I love old carnival stuff. Thanks for sharing!
    I bet your mom had some great stories!

6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Is your Mom in the picture?

7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I didn't see her - but I think they traveled with James Strates Shows

Draft saved Draft deleted