Writing Bureau

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Danielle Lisa, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Danielle Lisa

Danielle Lisa New Member

I came across this pretty writing bureau recently. I do have the drop down desk portion, the previous owner had removed it at the hinges but it is all intact. Any clues as to its vintage etc would be very welcome

IMG-20210128-195433.jpg IMG20210128194327.jpg IMG20210128194123.jpg IMG20210128194209.jpg IMG20210128194021.jpg IMG20210128194052.jpg IMG20210128194138.jpg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But this is the thread with the better pictures, so going to the other one is not necessary. ;)

Danielle Lisa likes this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Very true Bakers, but @verybrad (one of our furniture gurus) had posted on the other one and makes for confusion when new pics weren't just added to the original thread.

Danielle Lisa likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But all Brad said was that the pictures were not sufficient. So that's why I said what I did here.

Hopefully Brad will get your tag here and pick of the conversation. ;)

Danielle Lisa and wiscbirddog like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the better pics. Think this is a fairly modern piece of good quality. Hard to tell the wood but possibly ash or hickory. Can't tell you origin other than to say not American.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Indonesian import

8. Danielle Lisa

Danielle Lisa New Member

Thanks everyone, and apologies for the duplicate thread - I simply couldn't work out how to post photos in reply to the original thread! I had been working on the assumption that I could delete original thread once this one was up, but cannot seem to achieve that either.
    I am located in Australia, so anything is possible as far as place of origin. Tasmanian Oak / Huon pine or Kauri pine are quite common for furniture here though. If @blooey is right and it's Indonesian, I am not sure as to wood, other than commenting that it is a quite hard wood, but not overly heavy.
    The most similar looking items I had found via Google were of Danish origin, Georgian era, but perhaps this is simply an ode to that style.
    Next step is a thorough clean up and replacing hardware etc. as one drawer pull is completely MIA and another damaged.
    Given @verybrad 's valued advice, it seems that I won't be destroying a priceless artefact so I am quite tempted to paint, but the wood is very attractive and it's in surprisingly good condition given that it was being used as TV stand by previous owner.
    Thanks again everyone
    Now to research cleaning methods!

wiscbirddog likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well my suggestion as Indonesian was based on the rather weird choice of wood for the drawer bottom -but if it's from Australia I suppose it could be anything. In my experience it's unusual to use hardwoods for the drawers, usually pine or other softwood is what we see. The work looks very fresh too, so thinking very little use/age.
    Anyway it was just a guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted