Featured Writing desk – for the bonfire or worth saving?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mavota, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Mavota

Mavota Member

Hello everyone,

My parents are clearing some stuff out of their house in preparation for some building work. Some of it is going into store while other items are going to be burnt. I took these photos basically before my mum took a sledgehammer to the piece. I asked her to give me a bit of time to at least check if it might be worth anything.

The item is a writing desk (I believe) which has been in our family for 100+ years. I would guess it is roughly 1.20m tall, 0.75m square at the top (sorry, I didn’t measure). It has a secret compartment at the top, and a pull-out writing pad which can be propped up for reading. There are drawers on one side and false drawers on the other.

By the way, that carpet you can see in some of the photos is also going to the bonfire. I’m pretty sure it is 150+ years old and came from the drawing room of quite a grand house. My mum assures me it isn’t worth anything. Any thoughts?

We’re in the UK.

Regards,
    Mavota

IMG_20230121_110803 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20230121_110812 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20230121_110831 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20230121_110904 - Copy.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I have thoughts. Please tell your mother for me, in the nicest possible way, to allow you do your due diligence before she consigns family items to the bonfire.

Debora

3. Mavota

Mavota Member

She's given me a week to get an answer! Unfortunately I live in a small apartment so I can't offer to rescue stuff.

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Words fail me! Store it yourself until... Or put it in your bathroom, kitchen, behind a chair.

Born2it, kyratango, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't overlook the books in piles behind. If you give us a list of titles, we can help you determine if any would have collector interest.

Debora

Born2it, komokwa, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  6. Mavota

Mavota Member

Do you think it might be worth saving then? The problem is they have probably 20+ pieces of antique furniture, several of which have been stored in a shed for the past 10 years. Some of these came from the “quite grand house” I mentioned which was in the family until 1918.

Figtree3, Born2it and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Mavota

Mavota Member

Ah, the books I am on to! I collect books myself, so it is the one thing I know a little about. My grandfather was a novelist, and he inherited a library from another writer with about 1500+ books dating from 1700s to 1940s. Many first editions of books published between 1890 and 1940. I’ve spent several weekends going through them and have found some letters from the authors, including the Nobel prize-winning François Mauriac.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good. Glad you're on top of them.

Debora

Born2it, pearlsnblume and Mavota like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

If nothing else give it away but please do not burn it!

Figtree3, Born2it, SeaGoat and 4 others like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Mavota. What part of the UK are you in? Other members in your area may have ideas for you.

Born2it, pearlsnblume and Debora like this.
  11. Mavota

Mavota Member

Thanks Bakersgma. We're in Northern Ireland.

Figtree3, Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The carpet looks very worn, which hurts the value a lot, but I seriously doubt that it is worth nothing.

Born2it, pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Your desk is called a davenport desk and certainly has some value. I looked through 25 pages of davenport desks sold at auction and did not find one with carving like yours. I did find this one, described as Italian, that is most similar in form. It sold for $325.00 US.

19th c. Italian Davenport desk, 36"h x 22"w x 22"d - Aug 16, 2016 | Bill Hood & Sons Art & Antique Auctions in FL (liveauctioneers.com)

Here is the link to over 35 pages of auction results if you would like to look further.

Search "davenport desk" (liveauctioneers.com)

14. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Maybe offer it to a student. It looks like it might be perfect for a laptop.

15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think my heart seized up at the word "axe" ! WHY wouldnt you just give the stuff away as opposed to burning it ???

16. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Please tell Mom not to cremate the furniture.You say you have 10 or 20 more pieces like the desk ? If nobody buys antique furniture in your area, you might consider shooting some Pics to Dealers in Edinburgh,Glasgow or London.
    Remember an antique may be worthless in your region (ask Brad abt this re the Midwest),but could be worth quite a bit several hundred miles away.
    You wouldn't want Mum to toss 2 or 3 grand into the wee old bonfire ?

Ghopper1924, Born2it and kyratango like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the link above for comparison.

Debora

47073654_1_x.jpg

Ghopper1924, kyratango and Mavota like this.
  18. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

God,I wish Mom would open up a shop down the road from us-damn.

19. Mavota

Mavota Member

@ verybrad, thanks very much, that is perfect! It may not have the carving but the shape of that one is pretty much identical. I think ours did have the top trim too, but I fear it may already have gone to the fire.

I’ve already sent the link to the family WhatsApp, so there may be hope of saving it!

@ others, I don’t think my parents could get this down the stairs, hence the sledgehammer and the bonfire. I believe several carloads of stuff have already gone to the charity shop.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  20. Mavota

Mavota Member

The balding patch you can see in the photos next to the desk is the only bad patch. I think that must have been where the door was in the house where it originally lay. The rest is in OK condition, though very faded. The whole carpet is about 8m x 5m.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted