Featured Wrought Iron oil lamp - early or late?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Drew, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Is this design earlier, 1860ish or later, say 1890s ? the font & tank appears to be brass - electrified at some point. s-l1600 (19).jpg s-l1600 (18).jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Drew, it's marked on the cap. What does it say?

Debora

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Cap says - "Made In United States". Also, I've seen these wrought cone shaped forms on other Victorian metal work.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What does the electric cord go to?

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Guessing ca. 1895-1905.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

@Debora Where the wick used to be there is a socket, so I assume the cord goes through the lamp to the socket

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

See it now. So the lamp was electrified at some point.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the cord is a newer version..

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can't see how that lamp and stand go together............:inpain::wideyed::wideyed::wacky:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I kind of agree. The stand looks like something recent.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

All very confusing.

Debora

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Found this image of what appears very similar - has it's globe & chimney s-l225.jpg

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  14. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

I have book on metal lamps and I will see if it is in that. There were about three dozen makers, or more. I am sure that the font was drilled and that will kill any collector value, so find a shade and make it back to an electric.

I think the stand might be original. Cleaned up with a pretty shade they make an interesting lamp to use.

15. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

The lamp itself appears to be brass with the holder being wrought iron. My guess is that the brass lamp portion was originally part of a pull down kerosene lamp of the 1800's. Later, after that lamp went out with the advent of electric lighting, someone made a table lamp out of it and converted it to electricity. My guess is that it was converted in the 1930's - 1950's.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Oil lamp, ca. 1890 - 1900, copper plated brass, wrought iron. H.11" x W.6" x D.6." SI.2003.057.

[​IMG]
    Three scrolled and twisted wrought iron legs join a central twisted wrought iron shaft with bolts, the lower three bolts are in the shape of flowers. A copper-plated brass oil font embossed with flowers and fluting is attached to the central shaft. The burner, which is missing, was probably a miniature central draft type burner. The font is stamped: "THE B&H" and the filler cap is embossed: "B&H." This type of diminutive lamp, a miniature version of their popular banquet lamp, was called a "Boudoir Lamp."

https://www.si.edu/ahhp/lampsandchandeliers

2manybooks, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  17. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

Still checking my metal lamp text. About three fourths thru it. This book is about 450 pages and the illustrations are difficult to check.

Drew likes this.
  18. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

You beat me to it flipper. Agree however that the electrification pretty much guts the value by up to 90%. Drilling through font is a deal breaker for oil lamps.

19. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Forwarded photos to a lamp guy - he says it's a MILLER lamp of Meriden, Ct., 1890's when wrought iron became the rage. Bradley-Hubbard also made ornate examples. A short lived trend... proved to be too labor intensive & costly. I like the craft aspect, not the cast metal, class or porcelain most often seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted