Featured WW1 Iron Cross Casting Moulds

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by bangschr, Oct 9, 2022.

1. bangschr

bangschr New Member

I recently found a set of solid bronze moulds that appear to be for casting the 1914 German Iron Cross. They are extremely heavy ( probably 10 lbs) each. I believe they were for casting the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross. Only 5 of the 1914 Grand Crosses were awarded.

The 2 halves would have been mated together and molten metal poured inside. When cooled the medals could be removed and finished. I believe the small holes on the backsides would aid in the cooling process.
    There are also some serial numbers on the edge of both moulds. Serial # 10503.

Can anyone provide more information? Measurements are below.

Dimensions for mould: Length 6 1/4 in. Height 4 7/8 in.
    Actual cross: Length 1 1/2 in. Height 1 1/2.

20221009_182201.jpg

20221009_182224.jpg

20221009_182307.jpg

20221009_182339.jpg

20221009_182356.jpg

20221009_182418.jpg

Figtree3, dude, Doug Ketcher and 4 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LOOKS VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude, Doug Ketcher and bangschr like this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

P1900834.JPG P1900835.JPG

Bronze would not work as a mold for iron

They were actually iron which is a higher melting temp than bronze

dude likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

5. bangschr

bangschr New Member

dude likes this.
  6. bangschr

bangschr New Member

Update:
    Some more information on the Iron Cross after further research.

There were 3 versions of the 1914 Iron Cross (not including the star): Grand Cross, Iron Cross 1st class, and Iron Cross 2nd class.

The 1914 Iron Cross was originally produced as an iron cross with silver trim, but as the war progressed those metals were in short supply. The crosses were then made with an alloy and silver plated. A brass version was even made.

The sizes of the 1st and 2nd class Iron Crosses ranged from 28-42mm. The Grand Cross was about 62mm. The crosses in the molds above are about 38mm (1.5in).

Due to the size, it may not have been a Grand Cross. They might be for the 1st class. However, many photos of the Grand Cross show the small ring on top facing forward (the same as in the molds above) and the ring turned sideways on the 1st and 2nd class medals. This is because the Grand Cross was worn from the neck instead of pinned to the uniform. I wonder if the silver trim was added to the arms after their main form was cast. This would possibly bring the cross from these molds into the correct dimensions. I also wonder if I could track down an authentic 1914 Grand Cross and get actual measurements.

One last thing: @terry5732 made a great point about the molds being made from bronze. Bronze has a lower melting point than iron. I'm not sure how bronze molds are used in casting but simply pouring molten iron into the molds would likely melt them. Maybe the process of casting prevented this. I honestly have no idea on this part. I plan to do some more research on this.

Figtree3 and dude like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

dude likes this.
  8. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Wow!

dude likes this.
  9. Frank_138

Frank_138 Member

Your moulds were with 100% certainty not for making official award Iron Crosses.

The Iron Crosses from all four award periods (1813, 1870, 1914 and 1939) were always produced the same way. The Iron Crosses are a three part construction - an iron core (in WW2 in rare instances brass/copper or zinc core) and two frames halves from silver or silver mix metal. The iron cores in 1813 were cast iron later versions from 1870 onward were stamped from malleable iron. The iron core was sandwiched between the two silver frames and the frame was soldered together.

The moulds you have could produce one piece crosses from lead or tin and resemble an Iron Cross - but are not even close to a real Iron Cross.

The Iron Cross was an important patriotic symbol back then and was used for decorating many items like dishes, cups, stitched on cushions and so on.

If your moulds are from the WW 1 time period or the 1920ies they were used to make some patriotic souvenirs. But they are definitely not for producing military Iron Cross awards. Until the last days of war (in WW1 and WW2) the Iron Crosses were produced to a high production and quality standard.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-13 um 18.48.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-13 um 18.48.48.png

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    the blacksmith and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great description Frank !!:happy:;)

11. Frank_138

Frank_138 Member

measurements Iron Crosses 1914

Grand Cross 60,1 mm height - 60,9 mm width (Frame size, without the ribbon loop)

Iron Cross second class 42 mm by 42 mm (size variation by 1 mm is possible)(Frame size, without the ribbon loop)

Iron Cross first class 42 mm by 42 mm (size variation by 1 mm is possible)

These are the regulation measurements - extremely rare exceptions are possible.

The Iron Cross manufacturers had to supply sample crosses to the Ordens and Präsidialkanzlei. Only after the approval they were allowed to manufacture the Iron Crosses. All Iron Crosses had to conform to the sample crosses.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted