WW2 Aircraft - Original?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by KosmoCramer, Jul 5, 2019.

1. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

Hello, I recently came across these photographs. They measure 8.25”x5.25” each. Are they from cigar boxes? We’re they identifiers for soldiers in the war? Any help appreciated

Attached Files:

2. KosmoCramer

The bottom right of each photo has the planes name such as “Corsair” , P-40 Curtiss etc

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Are they actual photographs? Look with a loupe or a strong magnifying glass.

I have a classified US Navy WWll book that details all aircraft for identification purposes. All of the actual aircraft images are halftone prints. But mostly, there are silhouettes of the aircraft as they'd typically be seeing them in the sky at altitudes.

Specifications such as measurements are also included.

I don't know if they used these types of glossy photos for identification purposes, but I have seen similar that were put out by aircraft manufacturers.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

These are not a typical size for photographic prints (4x5, 8x10).

Christmasjoy and KosmoCramer like this.
  5. KosmoCramer

That’s why I was thinking potentially cigar box inserts? They’re definitely not new by looking at them but I don’t know if they’re period or maybe 10-20 years after the war.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. KosmoCramer

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Search google for: 8.25x5.25 photos

The results are all about the vintage planes. I suggest doing that search and checking out some of the sites with those size photos.

temp01.jpg

8. KosmoCramer

Thanks! I was able to find a few on eBay. Messaged a seller asking where they’re from and when. Thanks again

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted