WW2 Military Photograph Can Anyone Identify This Gentleman

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by antiquelover69, Mar 18, 2022.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Another storage find.very nice what I believe is a WW2 photograph.Most of the items int the storage was WW2.Might be a movie star,would be nice.There's writing at the top.I won the war for you sister. SAM_5908.JPG SAM_5910.JPG SAM_5912.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he must be famous.....with those medals !:wideyed:

judy and Fid like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Medals? Where? Or were you joking?

komokwa and judy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

He "almost" looks like a youngish Errol Flynn.........but I didn't check his age or if he even served!

komokwa likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Handsome lad ,isnt he ?

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but he so does....doesn't he ????

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Regarding Errol Flynn, he did not serve in WWII. He wanted to, but according to Wikipedia:
    "Flynn became a naturalised American citizen on 14 August 1942.[51] With the United States fully involved in the Second World War, he attempted to enlist in the armed services but failed the physical exam due to recurrent malaria (contracted in New Guinea), a heart murmur, various venereal diseases and latent pulmonary tuberculosis.[51] Flynn was mocked by reporters and critics as a "draft dodger" but the studio refused to admit that their star, promoted for his physical beauty and athleticism, had been disqualified due to health problems.[52]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errol_Flynn

The man in the photo is handsome. I don't recognize him as any actor I've seen. He does somewhat resemble Flynn. Flynn was born in 1909, BTW. So could have served if not for the various medical issues.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think he was just a good-looking GI in his Induction photo. Most guys had a photo taken in their class As and sent it to Mom, the wife, etc. Sister in this case.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Might well be. I don't normally think in 1930s slang.

11. Bakersgma

His outfit does not appear to be a uniform - none of the sewn on things that identify his status, the unit in which he was serving, etc. Might not even be a USArmy set of clothing. Certainly not an "induction" photo. Besides, his inscription is in the past tense. Seems the war is already over.

12. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Thank you all,I didn't say he was famous,I said might be.This was inside the storage I brought at auction.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

1 button on his collar, but I can't see enough detail on the others to say for sure. Still doesn't have the rest of the usual insignia, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted