Featured WWI Airplane Interphone SCR-57

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by JewelryPicker, Dec 3, 2022.

1. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Picked up this little gem today.

It was the first interphone model installed in US Army planes that not only allowed for radio reception/transmission, but also could be switched for onboard communications only between pilot and observer/gunner

missing the brass plate on front that would identify it as US Army Signal Corps Interphone SCR-57-A

last photo shows one with the plate (photo: National Air and Space Museum)
    A19B5438-F956-477C-8044-092873431A9B.jpeg 37268A1A-F545-40EE-8E1B-7643C4D7AD78.jpeg 5049089F-B431-4DDF-A34A-5E664047F866.jpeg DEBAC0B8-F2BD-4416-8078-071C078D4567.jpeg A19B5438-F956-477C-8044-092873431A9B.jpeg 37268A1A-F545-40EE-8E1B-7643C4D7AD78.jpeg 5049089F-B431-4DDF-A34A-5E664047F866.jpeg DEBAC0B8-F2BD-4416-8078-071C078D4567.jpeg 7C5792D6-E3D4-4B57-AB7B-9AD45087DAAD.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

COOL! I wonder if you can still get the right batteries and see if it still works. If not it can most likely be fixed. It was made to be repaired.

Studio Antiques likes this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Most amazing ! May I ask, was this found online,mall,private dealer,militaria club ? Sorry to be so nosy-but always trying to refine my craft.It looks like something an advanced collector would offer,but then-happy & incredible accidents still happen.

4. evelyb30

Charity sales where the kids cleaned out the house and donated it all? Happens.

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Made to be powered by ordinary (carbon/zinc, then) 'D' cells. The components appear to be complete and un-compromised...but you'll need at least one microphone, and a headset.
    Good luck...nice find. I'd have picked it up, too!

6. JewelryPicker

A “variety sale” at a local auction house. It was sitting right next to a box of warped Tupperware lids and behind a group of cobweb ridden Christmas wreaths

a find indeed

Houseful, Aquitaine and evelyb30 like this.
  7. evelyb30

Either surplus or a neglected souvenir. Thankfully you scored it.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Now you have to find a cap - easier than finding another one of these!

9. JewelryPicker

10. bosko69

Jewelry P-I've got no expertise in this field,but seems like a reasonable price for a WWI electric aviators cap to me anyway.
    Gad zeeks- would be quite a display to see a mannequin wearing the complete flying outfit (leathers perhaps for cold) with the headset attachment.Reproduction batteries perhaps available (those military reenactors produce all kinds of things).
    Real world 'steampunk' is the best & early technology is a hoot !

11. JewelryPicker

yes, that is a reasonable price and it would be cool for someone to piece together a full set up. That person will not be me, although my piece could certainly help someone do so.

At a small scale, I help keep thing moving in this industry, adding very little to my collection but constantly flipping my inventory. Sometimes if I find something special, I’ll share it here. There’s a wealth of knowledge hanging out in this place!

komokwa likes this.
  12. bosko69

JP-This is like a Library of Congress of antique knowledge.I stopping being a 'Flipmeister' 10-15 years ago (got an actual job w/health insurance). Do You sell on Ebay,and is it fairly safe (re: con artists,ripoff artists & shipping costs) ?.

13. JewelryPicker

Primarily eBay.

this has always been a hobby that happens to make life a little easier by providing some extra income. I work full time, so that pays the bills. My wife can stay home, son is homeschooled. Years ago there were times we had to rely on the “picking” to make ends meet, I’ve found it’s A LOT more fun when you’re not relying on it.

I’ve been on ebay for 20+ years, and actively selling antiques/jewelry on there for the past 13-15 years. I can’t say I’ve ever had significant problems with scammers. eBay’s policies definitely favor the buyer much more so than years ago. They seem to be trying to force out the selling model that made eBay a household name and try to head down the Amazon retail path. That’s been the direction for awhile.

Starting this year 2023, the IRS reporting threshold is insane (went from $20,000 down to $600) but that’s not eBay’s fault and actually eBay is lobbying against the change

With the steady decline in service/value, eBay is still the #1 spot to get the most eyes on your product and visibility is the key in getting items sold.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  14. bosko69

JP-Yes,it's definitely a lot more fun picking when it's not a life and death thing financially.Has there ever been anything in the last 20 years you've never been able to part with ?

15. JewelryPicker

Occasionally I’ll bring home something that my wife wants to decorate the house with for a period of time, then something else will take it’s place and I’ll send it off to its newest owner.

I have kept some things myself, but only if I acquire them on the cheap. Not really materialistic, but I love the hunt for items and increasing my knowledge along the way. These items dont increase my happiness in any way sitting on a shelf or wrapped up in a box in the attic. I have no personal connection to them. I enjoy doing the research, learning about it, then selling it and rejuvenating my “picking” fund to go buy more stuff!

16. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

The sold prices on eBay were between $89 and $175 (for a stunning one) - not bad.

17. bosko69

-seems reasonable for a WWI aviator cap.

Draft saved Draft deleted