Featured WWI Trench/Topography Maps

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Barn Owl, May 16, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

There was a bookseller at the usual flea market today. I don't have a ton of room for old books, as much as I love them, so I unfortunately saved that stall for last (and might have missed out on an extra map or two). I found these maps buried in one of the boxes and got them for 1 euro each. The three small booklets have an unusual canvas texture (like cotton webbing was glued to the thick cardstock. Strangely, they're all in English, except for the topography map. The first picture is of the Western Europe map (the second one looks similar). The second and third pictures are of the trench map. The final two pictures are of the topography map, which is made out of a thinner paper than the other three and has no markings on the folded end.

Do you think I should split these up to sell them or sell them as a group? I have no idea how to price these or how much they're worth.
    20190516_112345-1.jpg 20190516_111619-1.jpg 20190516_111932-1.jpg 20190516_111826-1.jpg 20190516_112159-1.jpg 20190516_112207-1.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    i need help, antidiem and sabre123 like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These are very interesting, apologies I don't know anything about them.

i need help and Barn Owl like this.
  3. Barn Owl

No problem :) I found them intriguing, too. I love the glossary

antidiem and i need help like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sell em as a group.....any guy who'll want one...will want them all..... imo

i need help and Barn Owl like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Barn Owl and komokwa like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'd split them up. the English ones are not so rare.

the Austrian one was made after the old Swiss ones by triangulation. Aegerter was probably Swiss that worked for the Austrian army in the high mountains. they were so precise, when the Americans came with the first satellite systems - GPS - the Swiss maps were still more precise.

antidiem and Barn Owl like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Score! My cousin would go ape if he found those. I don't know what they're worth either, but I'd have snagged those so fast!

8. antidiem

Yes the legend is great!! I want to find a brothel on the topo map! Could it be disguised as a lunatic asylum? :cat:

all_fakes, Fid and Barn Owl like this.
  9. antidiem

I agree with splitting them up, thanks Fid.

Barn Owl likes this.
  10. Barn Owl

That's fascinating. I'm awed by the detail of the map.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

we had them in school. and it was amazing when you were in the mountains wandering around. in the special maps you see every cow shelter.

Draft saved Draft deleted