Featured WWI watercolor print?? Looking for any information!

Discussion in 'Art' started by avant, May 27, 2019.

1. avant

avant Member

Dear antiquers friends,
    Would greatly appreciate any thoughts and ideas from the beehive about the origins of this 1917 artwork which appears to be a signed and numbered aquatint print of a soldier and his dog. I spent a couple of hours digging into the possible spelling of the name(s) and cannot find anything definitive. Thanks very much in advance!

IMG_8118 copy.jpg IMG_8119 copy.jpg IMG_8120 copy.jpg IMG_8121 copy.jpg IMG_8125 copy.jpg IMG_8127 copy.jpg

Dawnno, Michael77, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see "Maurice le" something.

Debora

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

5. avant

avant Member

Amazing! Thanks so much, Bronwen!!! Mystery solved :)

6. Sepia

Sepia Member

Nice piece. I don't read French (or speak it for that matter) but that is lovely

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I read Maurice le Poitevin:)
    Location Château de Lattaux.

Dawnno, patd8643, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good eyes! And attribution certainly works.

Debora

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. kyratango

10. avant

avant Member

Thanks so much, kyratango! I would never be able to decipher the name. You guys are the best! Thank you all!

Dawnno and kyratango like this.
  11. Bronwen

Thank you, I just opened the door a crack.

I started by looking for this, but only got Lavaux & Laplaud, so moved on to 'poilu', a new word for me. Brava to you for seeing that last name as starting with P; I went off looking for le Boiterin & variants. Among us all, think we got this one nailed. :) :kiss::kiss:

Dawnno, Jivvy, BoudiccaJones and 2 others like this.
  12. avant

avant Member

And I kept reading the first letter as "D" - so far off!

Bronwen likes this.
  13. kyratango

And, my bad, the location isn't Lattaux but LAFFAUX!
    There was a big battle to win the position during the "Chemin des Dames" battle.

Dawnno, Jivvy, avant and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bronwen

Since it looks like 'Latlaux', we'll forgive you. Now I think it's well & truly nailed down. :)

kyratango, Jivvy and avant like this.
  15. avant

avant Member

Thank you!!

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like a lithograph to me. The signature on the work, and the signature under the work do not seem the same to me. Am I missing something?

avant, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

I can't speak to the printing technique, but the pencil signature looks like 'Cluny' to me.

avant and kyratango like this.
  18. Bronwen

https://openagenda.com/jep-2016-nor...-artiste-dans-la-bataille-de-la-somme?lang=en

And that's the English! IM Translator does this with it:

Maurice Le Poitevin, stretcher bearer in the 329th RI, the Historial not only keeps his war diary detailing his career in the concern to report the daily, but also a series of some 120 drawings (charcoal, gouache, ink .... ) captioned and dated. The Poitevin continues, through the battles leading from Artois to Aisne, to sketch live scenes of the life of the front, going to the striking representations of the violence of the battlefield and the death. A chronology of his work will take into account his experience of military service (1907-1911) until the difficult period of the post-war period marked by the production of film sets. He who speaks of 'learning the warrior' calls his war diary 'A la traine ...', thus revealing in a few words the quality and intensity of his frank and bold language. The cross analysis between the study of the corpus of drawings and that of the manuscript reveals a testimony of a rich intensity, far from conventions.

19. Bronwen

I'm not readily finding anything attributed to le Poitevin that has any color, so maybe added for the print?

avant and kyratango like this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is also by Poitevin. It's called "La Charge Moderne", but the site where I found it gives absolutely no info on medium, or where the original is.

[​IMG]

And this (also no info): "Avec les débris de la Ve armée Anglaise en retraite sur Noyon"
    [​IMG]

On these two images, I can't tell if they are intaglio prints, but I don't think so. No sign to my eye of a plate mark in the lower left of that first. (I can't tell if OP's is an intaglio print. It doesn't look like it to me. Is there a plate mark? Not definitive, but it might help.) These don't seem to be numbered editions. The question is: have these images been reproduced? Has just that one image been reproduced? Are we looking at a limited run reproduction of an original watercolor? Is it a lithograph of a le Poiteven painting by that other person?

That different signature underneath bothers me. If it is a numbered limited edition created by that second name, it opens the question of who did it... and when.

Dawnno, kyratango, Michael77 and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted