WWII Documents & Love letter Berlin

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by mmarco102, Oct 3, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I aquired these recently, there are over 100 pages from 1932 - 1949 and for the most part google translate has shown me they are from a Inge Bode born 1920, who lived in and around Berlin pre/during/and post WWII. Sign documents, type love letters and hand written letters. She made her way to America as a few documents show.

These will all sell on ebay..... except there is a 12 page pamphlet, from mid WWII, held together by two holes and a single piece of twine, that I am going to separate from that sale. It doesn’t translate well enough to understand its contents.

The First three images posted are its cover(hand writing doesn’t translate well) and page 1 and 2, of the book.

Can someone translate and or at best discribe what it is about?

All other images are the main documents with signatures and stamps.

56944483-665D-4D04-A98E-2AF991229182.jpeg 49625534-04CF-4A7E-8C11-9BAA812C09EB.jpeg 0382B87C-3AF4-4F0A-AFD0-8024A6D0C348.jpeg BA5C67BB-5B59-4F8F-8513-CC8C6265D6B7.jpeg 2D45414F-BDB4-4053-BC9F-87FC7C6500EC.jpeg DFC8D244-0B83-48E6-8648-5062EDBDC188.jpeg F05A3A23-D40C-4A30-9BDD-4E533F8BB9CB.jpeg 0BEA9A76-876A-4B85-B58C-C6F788CFDE06.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Pat P and judy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Handwriting on cover of small thanks for big thing is a quotation from Anthony and Cleopatra, assuming, perhaps incorrectly, Shakespeare.

Edit Anthony:
    O, then we bring forth weeds
    When our quick winds lie still,

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Pat P and mmarco102 like this.
  3. Bronwen

4. mmarco102

Pat P, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It would take me quite a while to translate something that long, as I would have to look up a lot of the words. As mentioned, my German is at a rudimentary level at this point. So, probably not for me. Sorry!

Pat P, mmarco102 and Bronwen like this.
  6. mmarco102

Oh my :woot:, I most certaintly do not want anyone to put in that kind of time. Just trying to get the gist of the contents. I probably over stated in my OP.

Pat P and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

I can only read German to the extent that cognates & IM Translator allow. The little booklet seems to be things to be thankful for, starting with God. After that is Music. Are there other blessings after that?

Pat P and mmarco102 like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

What a great find!

I'm afraid my college German classes were much too long ago for me to be much help. I usually only recognize the common words. Sorry!

mmarco102 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

shown CV is normal, middle of the road. the interesting one is the last paper "Opfer des Faschismus" with "Abt. Opfer der Nürnberger Gesetzgebung" in red. it's a paper that confirms she was a victim of Fascism. the red one points in direction of the Nuremberg Laws, so she was most probably not a proper German - quarter-Jew or other sub-human etc.
    the pamphlet may have been a thesis for getting the allowance for further semesters at university .
    the one which stands on its head and is signed by a "Notar" may be interesting to find out more about the personal situation.

Jivvy, Figtree3 and mmarco102 like this.
  10. mmarco102

@Fid, sorry for the delay, was out of town with family.

Is this the one with “Notar” you meant? I pick up from the translator, it seems a letter of reference or possibly of residency/work, mid war? 3AF87283-F17A-467C-BEFB-6A0D94106B95.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

quite interesting. it's a job reference from a drugstore that has also done photos - quite normal till the 1980s - where the employer certifies that she is a.o. honest, hardworking AND !!! her moral conduct is in all aspects flawless .
    the last paragraph by the Notar (attesting notary) is only affirming the signature of the employer.
    all in all it stays a bit obscure why this is done. it could be that she applied either for a job where certain qualities were needed or she applied acceptance to university and because her mother was not around she needed this signature.
    two other points from the CV are also a bit eye-catching to me. the stress she puts on being protestant and that her father died due to an injury he received in WWI. the Jewish ( which included baptized Jews) front soldiers and there families had a certain protection even under the Nazi laws.

mmarco102, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

The druggist's notarized letter of recommendation dates to the midst of WWII. Maybe she was hoping to get employment with the government?

mmarco102 likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

unlikely. the government didn't wait for applications, they simply ordered people to get the jobs done. with that 12 page written test or thesis it would rather be for the application to university. and the notary was a local one from the neighbourhood she lived.
    but generally spoken it's rather hard to win a full view of that young woman without the whole bunch of papers looked into.
    and just my personal opinion: if listed at all they should stay together, perhaps there's some interest in the US when the stress is put on the "Victim of Fascism" aspect that was most probably also her "entrance ticket" to the US; but even then I see little chance for a good price. in Europe the interest would be marginal.

Bronwen and mmarco102 like this.
  14. mmarco102

I just noticed that the letter of reference had a back to it, posting now. Additionally two more pages of the booklet and a hand written letter. Which I don’t think is signed by her.

E2E9010D-1CBE-446E-B0FA-26B1C8756FC2.jpeg 26AB31BC-AD5E-4BC0-808C-F9C536A5FA87.jpeg 3E2AC772-9208-4245-B7E9-BF14BBD4591A.jpeg 0C5AF7A5-4F8E-4929-A65D-B57F1B79D3E2.jpeg 4619EC3F-19EB-4A0D-A8B3-24BCCA13E75B.jpeg

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the first one is a rectification of her first name by the Notar.
    rest is too boring for me.

mmarco102 and Bronwen like this.
  16. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

The handwriten letter says that she cannot come home to her family for Christmas 1939. She was working as a houshold help for a year after school (it seems girs had to do that back then), and the woman she is working for sent this letter to her mother.
    The typed texts are kind of philosohpic reflections on various subjects...

mmarco102, Jivvy, i need help and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted