WWII Homefront ephemera - Red Cross Field Service Workers POW Info

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I've had this stuff for a while. I've just been sitting on it and going back to it every once in a while to see if I can find more information about some of it.
    What I have is more than 20 Prisoners of War Bulletins, informational newsletters put out by the American Red Cross monthly and sent to the families of servicemen and civilians in internment camps. I don't need help with those - just included them in the photo because it all came together.
    The typed papers are about 40 letters from Red Cross National Headquarters. Most of them are to Home Service Workers & Field Directors from Edith Spray, Chief of the Resources Information Unit of the Services to the Armed Forces. They range from one page to 40 pages long. Some seem to be the original typed manuscript copies. They are meant to supplement the Handbook (which I don't have, and can't find). The letters contain all the information and details about prisoners and civilian detainees that anyone could need to know. Anyway.................is there a market for these documents?

batch_DSCN8649.JPG

batch_DSCN8652.JPG

2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I recently researched WWII items on ebay and I seem to recall seeing WWII Red Cross bulletins in completed listings, although I'm not sure if it was prisoner of war related. WWII ephemera seems to sell and the prices are all over the place depending on the subject. I would think these would be interesting to a collector.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe for a museum......???:)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    very special papers indeed. POWs not being really active in any military action - except the Nazi ones in US camps killing each other - the interest is marginal. except there being a register of POWs with excact dates, names and POW camps where people could research how long Onkel Alfred or Zio Giovanni was on holidays in Texas.

judy likes this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The under-construction “Museum of Americans in Wartime” here in VA might be interested; I’m sure they have a website but haven’t visited it.

6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions everyone. I guess a Red Cross collector would be the person to direct these at.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted