XIX century tree sketch

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chriss, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Chriss

Chriss New Member

Tree drawing.jpg I,m looking to get some information on a drawing/ study of a tree. It looks to be late early XIX century, maybe British or French. It measures 30.5cm x 23.8cm. The sketch is on thin board paper and in overall good condition. It is unsigned, quite common for drawings of this period. Would anyone know if it can be attributed to a specific artist or period ? I appreciate yout thoughts...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    moreotherstuff and leeddie like this.
  2. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

Chris.. if you would go to edit and click on the FULL IMAGE it will be much better. Please use that option for any and all future posts. Thanks..
    All us newbies got a similar message.

3. Chriss

Chriss New Member

OK, will do. Thanks

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a nice drawing and looks professional to me, but finding out who dunnit ain't gonna be easy.

There must be a generic valuation for things of this type. Really can't suggest other than looking for comparables.

leeddie likes this.
  5. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

Thank you. I agree with moreotherstuff in finding out who the artist might be.

In today's environment even experts are hesitant to attribute, afraid of lawsuits. A nice drawing though.

6. Chriss

Chriss New Member

thank you for your comments. I have heard that in the US many experts are reluctant to attribute artists as they might get sued in case they are wrong. Attributions are nonetheless very often only opinions which can be challenged. I appreciate your thoughts :)

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

In the 19th C drawing and water colour painting were popular middle class pastimes, reasonably competent exponents were quite widespread as any 19th C autograph and many scrap books will show.

Trees were a popular topic for practice and in the shed somewhere I have a late 19th C book of tree drawings for amateurs to copy with examples from quite simple to more complex like this one.

I suspect this was something of that nature, that no attribution would ever be possible, and I don't really see any commercial value.

8. Chriss

Chriss New Member

Thank you Afantiques

Draft saved Draft deleted