XVIII century Capodimonte porcelain figurine ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gianluca72, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Dear friends, when I took this porcelain statuette to a well-known antiquarian in Rome a few years ago, he told me that it is an 18th century Capodimonte (1771 - 1834) and that that rough restoration on the thigh is also ancient, but posthumous, probably from the late 19th century - early 20th century.
    He told me that although there are many imitations and counterfeits, he was quite sure of what he was saying, by the way the mark "merged" with the porcelain, a personal language of him, which I have never understood. I took macro photos of the mark.
    Honestly i never believed him, it would be too good to be true, and not being a dreamer but a rather realistic type, I refer this question to you to know your opinion....so maybe I can satisfy my curiosity of that time.
    In addition to the mark, it also has a number: 0/759 .

Height: 12 cm
    Width: 6 cm
    Thickness: 6 cm

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    KSW likes this.
  2. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's good to be realistic. Too bad he didn't offer to buy it from you.

Gianluca72 likes this.
  4. Gianluca72

Thank you, but that's a German and painted copy of my Italian figurine :)

5. Gianluca72

Actually he had asked me, but I told him that I was not interested in selling, also because I was not prepared for a trade. And surely the only one who would have earned it would have been him, like a professor who cheats a little pupil.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The wings seem odd to me. As carefully modeled as the rest of it it, the wings are clearly stuck on with no attempt to make them look like they are growing out of the shoulders. 'Merged with the porcelain' seems to be code for 'blurry'. Maybe there's something about the color that dates it. I would not call it celadon as it looks in the photos, but maybe influenced by Asian pottery.

KSW likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Influenced strongly by blanc de Chine.

What he meant by the merging was the same thing you get with flow blue: the ink floods into the porcelain body.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

18thc Capodimonte is super rare and does not look like this and has no impressed numbers either AFAIK, sorry!

9. Gianluca72

Thanks to you all friends, 99% i was expecting that it's not a xviii c. item, so i was ready to the trauma. :) Unic thing, i still don't understand why in the past that antiquarian said that to me and why he was interested at it.

10. Gianluca72

The color from the monitor is different from the live view. I think I was wrong to take pictures without flash. The figurine is white, not celadon. Maybe I need to redo the photos with the flash, i think it will be better

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I strongly suspect it's Austrian or German and late 19th.

12. Gianluca72

Hello friends,
    I proceeded to redo the photos with the flash, they are definitely better and make the right shade of porcelain.
    I also cleaned that coarse restoration on the thigh / pelvis.

It does not seem to me that the wings have been attached above, I am sending you photos, they are part of a single body together with the back.

A friend of mine this morning, a great antiques lover, replied through WA that according to him this is a 19th century, marked Dresden, and not Capodimonte.
    He told me he needs to do dating mark research and then he'll update me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Ownedbybear @blooey @Bronwen @janetpjohn @JB Miller @Any Jewelry @Debora

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Bronwen and KSW like this.
  13. Gianluca72

ok :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    KSW likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

That rather backs up my thought.

Bronwen and Gianluca72 like this.
  15. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Think you've been given good advice by OBB on this one, Gian. It's Dresden, by Carl Thieme, late 19th to early 20th (I'm leaning more 20th). The one in the first response by JB Miller actually is the same as yours. It's the painted version, while yours has a clear glaze. At any rate, Potschappel was established in 1872, so it can't be any earlier than that.

aaroncab, Gianluca72, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  16. Gianluca72

thanks a lot :D:D:D

Ownedbybear and Bronwen like this.
  17. Gianluca72

18. Gianluca72

Thanks friends

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted