Featured XX? Century Russian old master painting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Jan 15, 2019.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Need help with a oil on canvas mounted on board. I think that the canvas was mounted on this board in a much later period than creation date. Does somebody know how old this could be or what it is? Does it tell a myth, story or a fairy tale, or is it religious? I guess that it's Russian because of the Orthodox cross on the church building. The back was covered in hand painted watercolor decor paper and somebody peeled it away and it shows old newspapers which are in the Russian language. I have also uploaded some close up pics of the canvas and how it's stitched together in the hope somebody can tell the age from that?

It's shows a lady flying out a window with a child in her arms. Guess she is saving her from the two bad guys standing in the window. The two bad hombres look Asian to me and could be Ottomam I guess. One has a sword bound around his waist which looks oriental/ottoman design and the other one is holding a spear. It's a winter scene because you can see the snow on the roof where she is flying out (or is she jumping). You can see some arrows stuck into the building which tells me that they probably stormed into the building or was it maybe a war?

Any info/input is welcome.

20190115_192431.jpg 20190115_192451.jpg 20190115_192504.jpg 20190115_192517.jpg 20190115_192527.jpg 20190115_192553.jpg 20190115_190902.jpg 20190115_192650.jpg 20190115_192828.jpg 20190115_192731.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I think i see year 1985 in the text of that newspaper.
    The style looks pretty much Ilya Glazunov to me. Might be some of his students. Also, could be for a book illustration

antidiem, i need help, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. benbenny007

Thank you April, I will have a look into this artist. I couldn't find the date 1985 you mentioned, that small fragment of two numbers you see can be anything. But my guess is that it's not that modern. This is a much earlier and different style work than the artist you mentioned . The style, the ageing and discoloring suggest it's much older. Guess its early 1800s if not maybe older. It's common that pictures were mounted on board or such in a later period. Many times they did this to preserve a picture or after a repair.

I guess that it also could have been a cut-out of a much larger work. Larger paintings in the early days were more common to be made on canvas because a large piece board was to costly.

I can also remember that many paintings and large icons were cut-out in smaller sections or such?. But can not remember it correctly so could be mistaken. Maybe somebody else has more if about this.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The ВЛКСМ on the Russian newspaper stands for Всесою́зный ле́нинский коммунисти́ческий сою́з молодёжи (known as the Komsomol), a political youth organization in the Soviet Union. It started in 1918. So while the painting may be older, it may have been put onto the stretcher much later, possibly in 1985, since April sees that date possibly on there.

5. April07

Before the last paragraph starts, the text says about improvement of the work of cultural insitutions for ...8(3)5 - 19... years. The style of the text looks too much 1980s, so I don't believe this newspaper is from 1930s, also it's not that yellow. That why I said that the year is 1985.
    I still think it is a book illustration or something similar, might be older than 1980s but I bid USSR, the second part of 20th century.
    Discoloration and crackle might come from conditions + materials.

Any Jewelry, benbenny007 and Figtree3 like this.
  6. benbenny007

Yes It is possible that the newspaper is from that area. But I'm more focused on the actual work itself. My guesses are that it's probably Ottoman period or a bit later.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  7. April07

I've asked someone who deals with Russian art, he thinks it's amateur artist, 20th century.

i need help likes this.
  8. benbenny007

Ok thank you April, will keep that in mind Let's see what other members have to say. I'm always interested to hear second and third opinions.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ottomans generally didn't look like that, with long hair etc. Maybe Huns? The Huns ravaged Russia, Ukraine, and other parts of Europe, even going as far west as Mönchengladbach in Germany. And they had beautiful swords.
    It could be a legend about a child being saved from the Huns. Or of a woman and child fleeing from them and jumping to their death.:nailbiting:

April07 likes this.
  10. April07

It didn't come to my mind that the painting could be from the times of the Golden Horde :) :) :)

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not the painting, the style and it being on canvas date it much later. But the story maybe?

12. April07

Sorry, it was just an alternative proposal to this work being Ottoman. Yes, sure, it should be some kind of a story about Mongols and Tatars but I failed to identify it. That's why I wondered if that can be an illustration or a sketch for illustration rather than an amateur work - that could give it some cultural value at least (in addition that it's lovely). But unfortunately I think we will never know unless it was published which I doubt.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted