Featured YARD SALE FIND PAINTING FOR $5! IS THIS BY JOSEF SUSS?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Mar 10, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this this morning at a yard sale I went to for comics! I bought the 2 boxes of comics for $100 & then asked if he had anything old or unusual - he told me he had a old painting that had been sitting in their garage for years.
    He brought it out + a 2nd one and told me $10 for both. I saw that they both had cobwebs all over them & I said "Yes"!
    When I got it home & started researching them, I couldn't make out the 2nd one, but looking this one up I found Josef Suss!
    Is this a Josef Suss painting?
    Can anyone tell 2nd painting's artist's name?
    Both have stickers on the back of each frame that says: COHENS INC POPULAR PRICE PICTURE STORE OF WASHINGTON
    I'm hoping this was a framing shop (they both have what look like they have the same frames) and these aren't "factory art" paintings that I seem to find a lot of?
    Thanks for any info!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 1 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 1 1AAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 1 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 1 4AA.jpg

THIS IS 2nd PAINTING

AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 2 1AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 2 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 2 3AA.jpg

BOTH PAINTINGS HAVE THIS STICKER ON BACK OF FRAMES

AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING GARAGE SALE FIND 2 4AA.jpg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Great pick! ... signature looks a little different than the ones I seen online for him but not out of the realm of possibility. Either way it's a nice painting and I think you scored for five bucks each.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the 2nd one, it's alive with color !
    & I've had to hit a golf ball from a location just like that......:hilarious:

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  4. journeymagazine

2nd one has small hole that needs repair - hoping someone knows name before I decide to spend the money. But you're right - it's like you can step into it and take a walk in the woods + it reminds me of NC in the fall.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Do not hit any golf balls at it. Nice finds.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I love them both, but I especially like the first one. It looks like Holland. @Any Jewelry would know.

Both are great tho!

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, it is Holland, in the west of the Netherlands. A lovely painting, and all details are real Dutch, which you don't see all that often. The scene is probably in the province of North Holland, not too far from Amsterdam.
    The Josef Süss painting is lovely too, very charming, but it is a 'Dutch fantasy'. Only the lace cap and gold 'oorijzer' are Dutch. The rest of her clothing looks Austrian, and a Dutch coral necklace would have a big elaborate gold clasp on the front.

Huntingtreasure and judy like this.
  9. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you Anundverkaufen for clarifying that name.

I kept seeing Bandoolh which didn't make any sense at all.

Now, it's as plain as day! (well almost):cat:

11. journeymagazine

THANK YOU!!!!! (I was sure/scared it was another "factory" painting I'd bought where they scribble a name or not even a name!)

anundverkaufen and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted