Featured Yellow glass vase w/floral etching --maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Any ideas on the maker of this. Approx 5" tall. Has kind of an unusual lip, didn't know if that was a clue. Thanks!

va1.jpg va3.jpg vase1b.jpg va3b.jpg

va4.jpg

yourturntoloveit, judy and cxgirl like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Possibly Orrefors,definitely swedish or danish.Gorgeous.

3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Lucille......That funky mouth on the vase says modern Czech origin to me, I have seen that opening on a lot of new alexandrite vases (I have a very foul name for it). I can see where a Swedish Orrefors vibe comes from, and I may be totally wrong. I have not seen an etched one before. But that's my thoughts on it. The auction link below will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Milsla...838271?hash=item5450157c7f:g:5T8AAOSwX~dWkYR7

4. Bdigger

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Johnny, to me, at least, so much about that vase screams Scandinavian, until you see the top opening! That is one weird "lip" - for lack of a better word...

johnnycb09, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thanks everyone. Must be Czech!

Gracias!

judy likes this.
  7. Bdigger

I agree. It screams Scandinavian. This Czech company (ZBS) seemed to borrow a lot of designs. they have made some in 2 or 3 colors that scream Seguso, and are often listed that way on eBay. They make good glass, it's a shame so many designs are borrowed. The also only use paper labels, so lots of people are fooled. But that fugly Opening is a dead giveaway.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Quietly....that's an engraved design, its a grey cutting, not an etching.

9. Lucille.b

Good clarification, Cherryhill. :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I used to like the to support the art students at the University so I'd usually buy a few pieces at their annual ceramics sales. I would put them on my desk at work. One time I bought small three pieces from a student who I knew. I displayed them with my other pieces. Not too long later another student told me "You know what these represent don't you?" Then he explained. I turned bright red and after that they stayed in my desk drawer. I may still have them around here someplace but they are definitely not on display.
    Don

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted