Yellow Jade?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tie.dye.cat, Jun 8, 2017.

1. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

This necklace caught my eye in the Salvation Army. I see no bubbles in the yellow beads, and the necklace is heavy. I'd say it's definitely some type of stone.

I'm thinking lemon jade (or honey jade) and onyx. Any other possibilities?

PS. Forgot to test the spacer beads as they do look like they could be gold or gold filled. Will check them when I have a second.

Thanks!

DSCN4850.JPG DSCN4855.JPG DSCN4843.JPG DSCN4842.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say onyx, 10k spacers (they generally are) and good question. I've found similar beads before and never known for sure.

tie.dye.cat and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

Thanks evelyb for your response. They look like the jade I've compared it to, but I'm just so clueless about stones that I don't know if there could also be something else they look like.

It doesn't appear that yellow jade is enormously rare or sought after, so it probably doesn't matter much pricewise - I just don't want to misrepresent something.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

You will need to have the beads tested if you plan to sell the necklace. Do you have someone you know that has a gem tester?

No one can say what a stone is by looking at a photo, we can only guess. Have it tested!

lloyd249 and tie.dye.cat like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Many possibilities ... This is dyed in many colors malay jade"dyed quartzite".

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  6. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

While in China yellow jade often means quartz, natural or dyed, elsewhere I would not use jade for anything but nephrite or jadeite, and nothing suggests what you have is nephrite or jadeite.

7. evelyb30

A prime example is Candy Jade - which is neither candy nor jade. It's some random rock dyed all the colors of the Kool Aid rack. This is a step up, but whether it's real yellow rock, yellow jade, or just a good dye job...dunno.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  8. tie.dye.cat

Thanks everyone. I have wanted to get a stone tester forever, so maybe it's time to get one.

Melissa Brown likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Real yellow jade is rare.
    If you have a good loupe you can inspect the structure of the stone. Jade looks messy, with tiny bits that look like crinkled wire or wool, like when a woollen jumper has been caught on a nail. If the structure looks neatly organized, with areas of straight, parallel lines, you're looking at quartz.

10. evelyb30

That messy structure is probably what makes it strong enough to make tools from. Quartz is a harder material, but I"m betting it splits easier.

Melissa Brown likes this.
  11. tie.dye.cat

I finally got around to looking at this again under a loupe. It has a mottled yellow / white appearance. Not like what you describe jade as, but also not like I would expect quartz to look like either.

Time to breakdown and get a tester as I don't want to guess for this necklace nor other jewelry items.

Melissa Brown and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted