Featured Yemenite (or Kuchi?) Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Today I bought this ring at an antique store. Most of the stones are gone and it's a bit dingy (I probably overpaid at $12) but I've been looking for Yemenite bridal jewelry for a long time and I hoped that this was it. What do you think? Does it look like Yemenite jewelry?

EDIT: So, maybe not Yemenite, but Kuchi? Message_1510178663715.jpg 20171108_181037.jpg 20171108_181747.jpg 20171108_181914.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

This modern belly dancer stuff is coming out of Turkey and India real cheap

judy, KingofThings and Barn Owl like this.
  3. Barn Owl

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Barn Owl

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could be new, it could be 30 years old. It is Kuchi, definitely not Yemeni. Yemeni jewellery doesn't have that abundance of brightly coloured glass, that is very much Afghanistan-Pakistan-India.
    $12 is about the price of Kuchi rings. They rarely contain real silver, and if they do, it is often low grade, some are a 'decent' grade.
    The rings on Etsy are listed by someone who knows her stuff, if she says it is high grade, I am inclined to believe it.
    Barn, do you have a silver test set? Here is some info:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/recommendations-for-testing-kits-please.18018/
    Important thing: Never put the acid on the item, use the testing stone.

The beads in your link are silver Bedihi style beads, every repoussé detail is handmade and applied individually, not stamped like your ring.
    Yemeni jewellery is usually .833 silver.
    I collect Yemeni jewellery (and a lot of other 'old junk':rolleyes:), and have a few Bedihi necklaces, here is one:
    upload_2017-11-9_9-44-24.jpeg

This is a detail, including the Bedihi signature. Every bead is signed. As you can see, every decoration is individually made and applied to the sphere:
    upload_2017-11-9_9-45-24.jpeg

Ethnic jewellery is a very broad subject. If you buy an ethnic piece because you like it and you are OK with the asking price, by all means do. But if you buy to sell, collect, or invest, you have to know something about it. Here is a good forum with a lot of useful information:
    http://ethnicjewels.ning.com/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  6. Barn Owl

Haha, this is embarrassing. Thank you for your detailed explanation. I'm still learning, so I guess this is one of those lesson learned things. I like the ring, so I'm going to keep it, but I'll be more careful about my purchases in the future.

I don't have a silver testing kit. I should invest in one.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

That is always the most important thing.
    You can find kits for a reasonable price on ebay. I think it is all in the thread I mentioned.

yourturntoloveit and Barn Owl like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Barn Owl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted