Yixing Teapot ...Help!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wenna, Jul 26, 2020.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I have a (very) little experience with Yixing teapots. I picked up this one because it has a lot of extra markings along with the square 'cartouche' that I usually see. It is pretty plain but does look as it has had some use. I haven't cleaned it up at all. I have no idea if this is a teapot that was made 'yesterday' or if it might be older? Are the extra markings superfluous or could they possibly identify the maker? All thoughts welcome... Thanks for looking and any input you may have! IMG_E0081_1.jpg IMG_E0082_1.jpg IMG_E0084_1.jpg IMG_E0085_1.jpg IMG_E0086_1.jpg IMG_E0087_1.jpg

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  2. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no expert but I was once told to look at the inside of the pot for signs of use. An old pot would have been used and the interior would be darkly stained from tea. I'm sure there are some exceptions as there always are.

wenna likes this.
  3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

No dark stains as from tea. But obviously used...probably a young teapot. Thanks for your input!

4. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

from the base i have certainity this one is not old,but i can't help with the mark,probably 2nd half of 20th century?

Bakersgma, wenna and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted