YIXING teapot ID help needed. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This teapot has Chinese characters on the front and back, top of lid. Signed under lid. Teapot has three feet. Took several photos, hope the orientation is correct.

Also had a question about the surface. There are spots of discoloration.

Any/all info much appreciated. Thank you for taking a look!

yix1.jpg yix1b.jpg yix2.jpg yix2b.jpg yix3.jpg yix3a.jpg yix3b.jpg yix4.jpg yixlid.jpg yixnew.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    komokwa likes this.
  2. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

The center of the lid is marked 秀堂镌之 "Inscribed by Xiu Tang."

Xu Xiutang 徐秀堂 is a modern artist in Yixing; his pots sell for good sums. Some are styled similarly to yours.

http://laohu.taohuren.com/zishahu/3083.html
    http://www.zisha.com/product/catalog/41972.shtml

But I can't find those seals under the lid among listings for his seals.

It's possible -- as the marking suggests -- that he only engraved the inscription, while another potter made the pot itself.

As you no doubt know, the works of master potters and other artists in China are frequently copied. You'd have to ask an expert to examine this for a worthwhile opinion as to whether it really is by Xu Xiutang.

As to the discoloration, it looks like the pot has been lacquered or something on the outside. This is often done to antique the pot or create a more valuable-looking shade or polish of clay; sometimes it's done before sale, sometimes it's done by subsequent owners. (Wax is also sometimes used instead of tedious burnishing.) Notice how different the clay under the lid appears. Obviously this raises some question as to the bona fides of the pot as a work by a master artist.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    komokwa likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thank you khl889 once again. Such a detailed and helpful response. Very much appreciated. :):):)

Was purchased from a used item sale, just with kitchenware. Sounds like this teapot will need a hands on view at some point. The discoloration on the outside is odd, sort of blotchy in spots and may be a red flag something isn't correct, agree about that.

A quick clarification on the coloring inside the lid. I couldn't get a good shot of the inside of the lid to show a good picture of those tiny seals. So took the photo of the underside outside in full sun to try to get a good view. The other photos were taken in less light. (Should have pointed that out in my text.) Just took a second look at the pot in the hand, at least the color inside the pot and under the lid seems to match in hue.

Definitely some further research needed as if correct, these do seem to sell pretty high. I really appreciate the translation and information to get started on that research (could not have even begun without the wonderful help.) A huge thank you.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    komokwa likes this.
  4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

KHL889, could you tell me what the front of this yixing brushpot says? and maybe it's a tourist item? Thanks pot b.JPG

Attached Files:

tie.dye.cat and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's BEAUTIFUL, Mario!

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Thank you, I've had it a while.

7. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

清风 "Cool Breeze."

Not Yixing ware, though.

(On the teapot, the difference between the inside and the outside isn't just a matter of color; the outside has a mild pebbly appearance, characteristic of old clays, while the inner surface seems pretty smooth.)

komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Khl889, I see what you mean now. Inside is pretty smooth. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted