Featured Yixing tree stump teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Feb 15, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

After reading a few threads in here about Yixing teapots I've added them to the things I keep my eyes open for at the thrift stores. Found one yesterday. Looks pretty new to me, but it was thrift store priced - only a few dollars -a bargain! Wondering if anyone can help with the mark/maker? Looked on a few pages of maker's marks online but didn't find it. 4" high to the top of the lid. About 6 1/2 inches wide from the handle to the tip of the spout. Thanks again!

~

40273207861_d582d172b6_kdev.jpg 40273205011_d0795c0042_kdev.jpg 39562161984_c4bafefd43_kdev.jpg 40228687992_528591b9bc_kdev.jpg 40228686732_7ea130af7d_kdev.jpg 39375860045_7627f330b7_kdev.jpg 39562155664_e79b52e2cd_kdev.jpg 25402264617_7d68fcbee4_kdev.jpg 39562160684_7e16373d29_kdev.jpg 39375863195_86bef4438e_kdev.jpg

SBSVC, komokwa, dcfirebottle and 4 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Other threads maybe before my time, so this is first example of the type I have seen. Way cool! How well balanced is it when you pour & does it pour without dribbling?

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. aaroncab

I'm not someone who knows much about teapots, but it pours very smoothly, no drips or dribbling down the spout, just a smooth stream that stops and starts evenly. As for balanced - seems perfectly even side to side and the center of balance is maybe a few mm's behind the center of the mark on the bottom - easy to hold.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Part of the appeal is that it has been deliberately made to look crude while performing so well. :happy:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    yourturntoloveit and aaroncab like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, aaron, and a very lucky find, congratulations.
    Looks like it has the perfect Yixing teapot line, equal height for the top of the pot, the top of the handle, and the top of the spout.
    There are sites with Yixing marks. Many of them are for antique marks, so yours may not be on it. It is an ongoing tradition, there are still some truly expert Yixing potters. But if you want to look, this is the right way around:
    upload_2018-2-15_18-7-13.jpeg

Bronwen, judy and aaroncab like this.
  6. aaroncab

Many thanks for the help AJ - very interesting to know about the height line - it also helps to not work on finding the mark... upside down :)

Bronwen, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The line means it passes the Yixing quality test. That is also the reason it pours so smoothly, perfect design.

Bronwen, judy and aaroncab like this.
  8. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Does the lid fit well or it has some play?

9. aaroncab

How much movement is considered play? Maybe 1mm or less movement...

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Great pics as usual, Aaron !!!

A little jiggle sounds ok !

aaroncab likes this.
  11. aaroncab

Words to live by!

12. komokwa

13. kardinalisimo

Not sure. I’ve heard that quality yixing pots should have lids that fit snugly. But that alone does not mean that the piece is not recent and mass produced. Also, I guess there are also exceptions.

yourturntoloveit and aaroncab like this.
  14. aaroncab

I just checked it again - when the lid is in place if you push on the lid to try to move it around it moves...maybe..maybe a half millimeter . I think I'd consider that pretty snug. If you pick the pot up with the lid on and move the pot around, there is no movement of the lid at all.

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  15. komokwa

there has to be some play......!

aaroncab likes this.
  16. aaroncab

Yeah or the dang thing wouldn't go on and off!

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
  18. aaroncab

Thank you SB - interesting that the tree stump form goes back 4-500 years! I think mine is probably within the last 50 though - ha :)

Bronwen and SBSVC like this.
  19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aaron, now, if you go to sell it, you can call it a TRADITIONAL TREE STUMP...
    - or say, IN THE LONG CHINESE TRADITION, HERE'S...
    ;)

komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  20. kardinalisimo

You can call it whatever you want. Even if listed only as Yxing or Teapot, Chinese people will know better.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted