You can only save one..

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluemoon, May 16, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Imagine that your house was on fire or something similar.. and you could only take ONE item with you (a set counts as one item, a collection however doesn't)

What's your most beloved piece?

KingofThings likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

NOT counting my parrot... or my ol' man...

My 1833 Lear Toucan!!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

An antique blue topaz and gold ring my mother gave to me.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Hell I have so many to choose from that I would stay there and burn with the rest of it.:eek:
    greg

5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I don't really have a favourite item so far, having had most of them for such a short time.
    All of them could be replaced quite easily.. if I had the money to do so.

So maybe it would actually be a jewellery-piece that I would save for sentimental reasons.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Since literally everything is in storage, my old address books.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have two cats. Other than them, my purse. Stuff is just stuff, but ID is a royal pain to be without.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd grab an extinguisher in each hand , and stand my ground.

We all gotta go sometime !

The next day the papers front headline would read....

" Man fights to save home from fire "
    He was found covered head to toe in Northwest Coast Indian ceremonial garb, all very crispy !!
    His valor saved several nearby homes from destruction.

( Antiquers dot com start crowd funding for his family , reaching nearly $376,000 in the 1st 24 hours !! )

9. KingofThings

I've got a dollar 298 on stand by..... ;)
    But don't want to give it up so don't do that please. :)

komokwa likes this.
  10. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Well, since I have already lived through a house fire. The thing I wish I would have grabbed...

My best friend was a Senior Drill Sargent at Aberdeen Proving Grounds (A couple tours of Kuwait/Iraq, silvers stars etc) When he retired, he sent me one of his Drill Sargent Hats.

I would have grabbed that. I still have the badge, but the hat is long gone.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

:(

12. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

my computer, all my friends live in it!

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

No brainer for me . Its my grandma's cheap little 1960s porcelain coffee set . I remember as a small child thinking it the most elegant thing I ever saw , and when she used it , it was a BIG deal .The person was held in high esteem indeed . As I got older , I saw it for the cheap little set it was and asked my granny why she carried it around when she had much nicer stuff by this point .
    She explained to me that when they came from Cuba in 1960 , they literally had only the clothes on their backs so niceties like pretty china weren't a priority . She somehow managed , 10 cents here , 15 there , to assemble a set . It used to be a thing with older Cubans to serve coffee to guests in a nice set so she felt it keenly when she didn't have one . I look at that cheap set now and think about what it meant to her , I picture her soft , wrinkled hands holding it , and itd be the very first thing Id grab indeed . But itd be hard to leave my art behind !

14. KingofThings

Oh my..... :)

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

One piece of furniture - a small desk - and my husband's ancestor's portrait. We all know those are the things to save. And we all know to meet under the pear tree in the side yard. Everyone in the family or visiting has to know that so in the hubbub of a fire you know who is accounted for.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I think I'd do the same Greg......and nothing I have is of high dollar value.......:facepalm: I just love it all!

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Oh God..............WHERE to start to choose.........................................

KingofThings likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would be impossible to choose. I guess it would be the Steuben Aurene bowl that is a family heirloom. Besides that, my Handel lamp and some works of art would be pretty high on my list. Then there is ....... ;)

Truth be known, there is really nothing that I couldn't part with at this stage in my life. It is only stuff despite my attachment to it. It might be liberating to be without much of it but it might take a fire or some other disaster to pry it away from me. As I continue to age, it might become easier to divest myself of some of the things I see as important. In the meantime, I am purging a lot of less important things.

19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It would have to be our two Dachshunds......the rest (as much as I love it..) IS just stuff that we can't take with us and they ain't gonna stuff in either the casket or incinerator (whichever!) with us!!! The Dachies are part of us here today!!!!! No brainer, the more I thought about it!!!!!:smug::smug::smug:

KingofThings likes this.
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think the question meant some kind of physical item. My cat would come first before anything else. If he is all I could save, it would be more than enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted