Your most embarrassing moment?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluemoon, Oct 31, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Share your secret embarassing moments or times when you broke something, etc

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

How do I pick just one?(LOL) Slicing my finger instead of a loaf of bread a few years ago probably is near the top. I still have a scar from that. The loaf had a really hard crust and the serrated blade slipped.

KingofThings, SBSVC and bluemoon like this.
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Edited

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Yes its hard to pick one as I'm pretty clumsy.
    One that comes to mind is last Christmas day, I had trays of Pigs in Blankets waiting to go in the oven and I was getting the after dinner coffees ready by putting the coffee granules in the glasses, It was a new jar of expensive coffee and I was having trouble opening it, It suddenly opened and coffee granules went all over the Pigs in Blankets.

No one knew though as I hastily rinsed them all under the tap lol.

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  5. evelyb30

I'm about to have a "failing root canal" pulled tomorrow. Does that qualify? It's made a royal mess of my schedule and my MS, and the root canal made a mess of my bank account. Hopefully the pitching of the offending tooth will clean things up!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Best of luck with that Eve. Sending good thoughts.

One messy moment that comes to mind...

I had some figurines (can't even recall what company, it was around 14 years ago --back in the day when figurines of this type were still selling in the $70-80 range.)

Anyway, I was washing each very carefully in a weak soap water mix, and I rinsed and wrapped one gently in a towel to let it dry and set it on the table. A few minutes later, not thinking, I grabbed the towel to dry the other one, and figurine #1 went flying across the room.

Edit: Comment above was when post title said "One messy moment" I wasn't "embarrassed" by this. Just let out a ....#$#@*!!

7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I edited the thread title to cover all embarrassing stories. I have one involving a very urgent need to poop but I'm not sure I want share it.

Catlovr and KingofThings like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

There are a couple more embarrassing moments I won't tell but there is one that is antique related. I sold a piece if unmarked matte green Weller Breton to a customer in the shop. The next day she returned having second thoughts. Wanted to know how I knew it was Breton, etc. As I was handling the pot and talking, it slipped out of my hand and crashed to pieces at my feet. I insisted she accept a refund and apologized profusely. The customer felt bad and I felt horrible. The next day she returned to the store when I wasn't in and left me a small gift. It was a small arts and crafts style Motawi tile that I still own to this day. We later laughed over the incident and I went on to sell her more items over the ensuing years.

9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have pulled some doozies - but I think my "worst of the best" was my first presentation to the (princess) sister of a reigning Queen. I was so flustered that I CURTSIED................not bowed, I CURTSIED.....................

Second place winner is probably some years later when I upchucked, with exquisite aim, into the lap of a Royal Duchess after a night of heavy drinking with her son.......................

Both involved royalty, but different Houses...............

OK, now that it is all again fresh in my memory, I'll go stand with my nose in the corner........................

10. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I can't help but feel a bit basic next to your posh embarrassments :shifty:

KingofThings and say_it_slowly like this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, I specifically recall ONE incident, that actually involved ME, and this is it:

I was around 10 or 11 years old... My youngest sister, who was then 6 or 7, dropped a piece of glass in a small store, where my sisters & I often shopped for gifts for our Mom.

On Saturday mornings, the 4 of us "girls" took ballet classes "downtown". The younger 2 were in one class; we 2 "older" sisters were in the class an hour later. Mom would drop off all 4 of us, go to get her hair done, then come to pick us up at noon...

We had about 30 minutes after the end of the 2nd class to go shopping together, before Mom arrived.

We had settled on one store in particular, called Bell, Book & Candle, where we'd always go to pick out a special gift. It was the early 1960's, and we'd pick out stuff like Fostoria glass and the like, based on how much "pooled" allowance we had to spend.

I don't remember what the particular occasion was this time, but we needed a group gift for Mom, so as soon as class was over, my sisters & I headed down to Bell, Book & Candle.

After much looking, we finally decided on a blue "coin glass" bowl. Patty, the youngest sister among us, reached for it and promptly knocked it to the floor... It crashed. The 4 of us stood horrified...

The sound of broken glass brought the immediate appearance of the store manager. "Oh, dear," she said. "What happened here?"

Mortified, one of us (not me, but probably my older sister) admitted, "Patty dropped it."

The manager looked at the broken glass on the floor, looked at each of us, in turn, and said, "Is that the bowl you wanted for your Mom?"

She then brought an identical bowl from the back, rang up the purchase, as if nothing at all had ever happened, and earned my loyalty forever!

12. evelyb30

At least Manson's didn't pull a Bush and do it on the international news!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. Mansons2005

Okay, NOW you've brought me to the point where I HAVE to admit that it DID make the papers in England..............."Yank Speaks Welsh to HRH" or some such thing..................thank God it was more years ago than I will ever admit.................

NOTE: no offense to Welshmen in the room - the term was quite common THEN, I have no idea if it STILL is..............

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ditto.

My specialty is getting the giggles and not being able to shut up. My best performances include spitting and snorting. Choking has occurred.

15. Mansons2005

You know, I REALLY apologize if I offended anyone! I have no idea what is and what is not correct usage these days anywhere but here in the States and as such should NEVER use terms i am not familiar with any longer -but at least I didn't use the T word!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I know that feeling. Sometimes if I'm unusually tired but also find everything funny it can happen.
    Once I found it so difficult to stop laughing (because I was trying not to) that my giggle turned into what @GaleriaGila just described and after I could no longer breathe, That turned into some weird moody and loud howling that sounded like a pig giving birth, or worse..

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My most embarrassing moment was when I was asked to baby sit my new wife's four year old niece from Utah. April and I were sitting on a bus going home. She was all over the seat and trying to look out of the window, bending down to look at the floor. I became a bit cross and said "April sit down, you are getting all dirty and your mother will kill you and me". April then stood on the seat and faced the back. All of a sudden i hear April say " Oh boy your mother is going to kill you when you get home. I never saw anybody as dirty as you are." I turned around and this elderly black man was sitting in the next seat behind us. I wanted to drop into the center of the earth. This was in the 60s during the riots. The gentleman saw my face and said " Don't worry I find it was very funny. Your daughter isn't from around here is she?" I said she was my niece and from out west and I do not think she ever saw a black person before. He just smiled and said it's alright. We got off three stops later.
    greg

18. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

About 40 years ago my late sister crept up behind me on a Saturday afternoon in the city centre when I was dressed in full police uniform and knocked my cap off.
    Only thing was it wasn`t me, haha.
    She nearly crapped, luckily when she explained herself the officer saw the funny side.

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

This is weird but I chuckled to myself today remembering when you mentioned that you curtsied ages ago on the eBay boards and now you posted it again.

Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you Davey...for jogging my memory !

In the late 70's I walked into my bank near where I worked.
    I saw my fiance standing at one of the tellers and walked up behind her....and grabbed her ass with a good solid squeeze.

She wheeled around and my jaw dropped , I turned beet red and only vowels came from my mouth.....cuz of course.....it was not my fiance.....but some hot blonde ...built like her and dressed like her , with the exact same hairdo and color !!!

Needless to say ...my utter amazement diffused what could have been a bad situation , as the girl looking at me could see how I was now a blubbering idiot !!

Draft saved Draft deleted