Your own museum

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluemoon, Nov 30, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

If you had the funds to start the museum of your dreams (a relatively small one though), what would be in there?

I think I might want to start a museum of tureens (17th century to Edwardian), because there are so many different designs, or maybe a museum for mantle clocks. A nice idea would be a museum for 1890's decorative objects, although there probably are those already.

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  2. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

My museum has already been done by someone else. I'll never forget walking into a small glass museum and it was dedicated to everyday kitchen glassware. Brought back so many memories of my grandmother.

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My daughter and her husband were here in July and visited one of the local historical museums in a period house. She came home and said it was a waste of time because it looks just like my house. ;) I live in my dream museum.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I would want a museum devoted to 20th century American art of the depression era. Works from the WPA and similar would be what I am talking about. Would probably want to include some works prior to the market crash and some from the WWII period after the depression for context. I would have no problem curating this but money would be an object.

The Art Institute in Chicago had an exhibit this past Summer devoted to this and, while great, I felt there was so much more that could have been included.

Here is a link to their exhibit, America After the Fall, to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/america-after-fall-painting-1930s

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I know how Bev feels. People are always amazed at my furniture and decorations. Since it is so different from the way people decorate here. It seems that people left everything back north when they moved down here. Everything is 1980s , wall to wall carpeting in bright colors and matched furniture and wall paintings. The the new piece of furniture I have is an 1930s Sheridan mahogany dining room table. My Kitchen table, chairs and china closet were from 1937. My living room has Queen Anne chairs with Art Deco end tables, a large American Empire table, English Regency desk etc. My floors are all porcelain ceramic tiles covered with Oriental rugs. The tile floor is mixed like sandstone. The entire floor plan of the house has the tile floor inside closets, the kitchen and baths, the laundry floor. I did not want wooden floors again, too easily scratched from all the sand around here but I did not want wall to wall, I always hated it. Everyone thinks that they walked into a museum house since nothing matches "matchy matchy".
    greg

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Well... I couldn't come close to the Statue of Liberty museum within her so no point there.
    -
    The NHRA drag racing museum in Pomona and the Petersen hot rod museum in LA have that part well covered.
    -
    Same with my Navy stuff. Well covered in various places except for the chart I have that was on the bridge of a destroyer lost at the Normandy invasion of WWII.
    -
    Charles Lindbergh and the Spirit of St. Louis also pretty well covered but NO ONE has what I have in regard to those subjects. :)

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

If I could create my "own" museum???? I would probably be imprisoned for kidnapping - I LOVE to collect people...............all sorts, sizes, sexes and sensibilities..........

I LOVE people............

particularly with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts............

8. KingofThings

oh my..........

lloyd249 likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know that I have any great ideas for a museum. There are so many great ones already and I would love to see more of them!

In a way I guess I've started my own as there really has been a method to my madness. It started with old ceramics and then I found a love for archaeology. In archaeology ceramic sherds are often used in the dating of a site so knowing the body, shape, decoration etc is important to understanding a place and the peoples.

I don't know too many museum collections where you can just pick up their pieces and examine them to your hearts content. That's where the serious madness began I think. I started collecting examples of ceramics from all sorts of areas and time periods just to be able to touch them. If they have chips all the better because you can see the body.

Of course that's not the end of the collecting madness but that is the part that could probably be useful as a hands on museum.

10. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I know without a doubt, I would have a museum of sewing antiques, Sewing antiques go way back and I find the subject endlessly fascinating.

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Probably some sort of cooking, baking museum with lots of displays, b/w and older food and appliance commercials and lots of info about how products came to be. It would be filled with vintage items that are from days of yore and what we might have in the future to cook or bake with and eat.

I remember loving the exhibit at the NY Worlds Fair, I think it was called Land of Tomorrow or Future maybe?

12. KingofThings

World of food.
    ~
    http://www.nywf64.com/worfoo02.shtml

lloyd249 likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks KOT.
    :)

14. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

an electronics/computer museum ,

The history of the understanding of semiconductors begins with experiments on the electrical properties of materials. The properties of negative temperature coefficient of resistance, rectification, and light-sensitivity were observed starting in the early 19th century.

Thomas Johann Seebeck was the first to notice an effect due to semiconductors, in 1821.[13] In 1833, Michael Faradayreported that the resistance of specimens of silver sulfide decreases when they are heated. This is contrary to the behavior of metallic substances such as copper. In 1839, A. E. Becquerel reported observation of a voltage between a solid and a liquid electrolyte when struck by light, the photovoltaic effect. In 1873 Willoughby Smith observed that selenium resistorsexhibit decreasing resistance when light falls on them. In 1874 Karl Ferdinand Braun observed conduction and rectificationin metallic sulphides, although this effect had been discovered much earlier by M.A. Rosenschold writing for the Annalen der Physik und Chemie in 1835,[14] and Arthur Schuster found that a copper oxide layer on wires has rectification properties that ceases when the wires are cleaned. Adams and Day observed the photovoltaic effect in selenium in 1876.[15]

KingofThings likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I would make a Magnifying Museum ....from microscope to telescope, & everything in between .

Shangas, lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  16. lloyd249

i used to be like a museum , but my landlord made me pack it away, called it clutter. lol

bluemoon and KingofThings like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Jewelry, without a doubt! I would love to see jewelry through the ages, and how much fun would that be to have to acquire pieces for it :)

18. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I love museums that allow you to touch exhibits. I know that this is often not feasible but I hate looking at a piece of china behind glass, base hidden.

Auction house preview days are an excellent substitute for a museum visit and are hands on to boot :)

say_it_slowly and KingofThings like this.
  19. lloyd249

and then in the next breath told me i should call the picker guys lol , i told her i am the picker

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Until you drop and break a vase..

KingofThings and rhiwfield like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted