Your thoughts on amateur drawings.

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, May 28, 2014.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

They were only a buck each at an estate sale.
    Artist looks like f??? Goss or Goff and both are dated 1946
    Folk art? junk?

Mikey

atree 18209.jpg
    atree 18211.jpg
    atree 18212.jpg

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Josef Gott. I remember seeing these. We all thought they were amateur drawings. Someone commented they weren't very attractive, but I think they have naïve charm. As a colored pencil artist myself, I always appreciate people who work on paper media. We don't get the same respect as painters, but we should because it takes more time. I can't help but think the young girl was Josef's daughter. I'd probably unframe them because the mat seems to have discoloration. Probably isn't acid free and will end up damaging the picture.

3. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you Bev.
    I will remove from frames to sell.
    Not expecting much, but hope to get my money back at least.
    Maybe a title like this
    "Amateur Naive Folk art pencil drawings ca 1946"

4. User 67

User 67 Active Member

Right on the matting, in fact you can see where the artwork has preserved the mat, in other words balanced the acid, meaning the artwork will have mat burn.

For a buck each, these are a find. If you are just going to flip them, I would keep the frames and mat and let the new owner deal with it.

I wouldn't call them 'folk' art, that always sounds pretentious when it isn't real folk art or naive. This is hobby art, or weekend art done by a graphic artist. I would leave it up to the buyer to decide if it's folk or not. I mean, someone searching for 'folk art' isn't looking for this, and someone looking for wall art won't be impressed by the folk art title. I like Bev's description.

"Charming Original Signed Artist's Pencil Drawing by Josef Gött, 1946"

5. 916Bulldogs123

I have removed them from the frames and there is inscriptions on the back of both. Here are additional pictures of the backs. maybe someone can translate the inscriptions?

Mikey
    atree 18924.jpg atree 18925.jpg

6. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

in rememberance of your visit in the old native country
    from your friend FG

a souvenir for my friend Edgar's dear wife a Swiss girl.
    Jos. G & wife

Josef Gött himself was not Swiss because he uses the word Mädel, which is detested by the true Swiss beause it's German German.

only confirms what I told you already on the ebay board. costume of the girl is Swiss. most probably eastern part.
    Gött is a family name spread in Eastern Switzerland/ Austria and Southern Germany.

to me they look amateurish at best, the ibex out of proportions (probably a female Alpine Ibex) and the girl looks like a bit mongoloid.

7. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Agree with fid - there is something "wrong" about both drawings. The girl is creepy, and the ibex - I think the problem is that the artist has, um, difficulty with foreshortening.

8. 916Bulldogs123

yes i remember your remarks fid, and thank you for the translation.

Mikey

Draft saved Draft deleted