Featured Your Thoughts on this Unusual Hand-Carved Item...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 'Nuff_Said, Apr 4, 2015.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Made from mixed materials: hand-carved horn or bone, hammered copper, wood, bakelite and gilt or gold radiator paint at base.

Size approx: 5 x 3 in.

Possible age and origin?

Thank you!

CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 001-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 002-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 003-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 004-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 005-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 006-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 007-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 008-001.JPG CARVED UNKNOWN ITEM 009-001.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I dunno...but it's nice...

KingofThings likes this.
  3. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Since it has a lid, I'm assuming it's hollowed out on the inside...? I think if you take a picture from the top, looking down inside, people might be able to get an idea of the material it's made of.

The flower has a tropical look to me.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't say I have seen anything quite like it. I would think Deco period up to the 50s maybe. I suppose it could be more modern and retro design but I just don't really see it being done this way. I think it is probably a one of a kind item. Too bad it is not signed.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lime.jpg

.While I'm not certain, I believe it's a type of lime ( or snuff ) container maybe from the Borneo area.
    The carving is not traditional for this type of item and the top so out there I can't be sure it wasn't a later add on, but the form speaks to a known purpose.

Try showing it to London Coin Gallery in California ( they seem to know their stuff..) or other high end Oceanic Art gallery, or maybe even Sotheby's .

I think it's modern , but the carving is so refined I doubt that it's a one off , and may be the work of a known current artist.

Just my 8 cents worth !!
    ( more than 2 cents......but less than a buck ! ..;)..)

7. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your time, reply and thoughts...much appreciated!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted