Featured You've got to see this outrageous vanity set

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This doesn't belong to me yet, and I think I squealed a bit too much when my friend brought it into my store yesterday, and I wouldn't him let leave with it, but we haven't agreed upon a price yet. Do you think maybe I set myself up? I thought I had to share it with you, even if I don't end up with it, so I cleaned it all up, and here are some pictures. It's 22" inches wide, huge, and made out of molded plastic.

smallDSCN0458.JPG

smallDSCN0453.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Remarkable condition... and big! Cary Grant's looking fairly young in that photo... circa 1940? Around the time he filmed Suspicion? (Took a quick look at publicity stills.) Is a set like that out of line for circa 1940?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Does size does matter :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:? I mean, taking up a lot of real estate on a vanity.

Out of my zone, but it's a sweet looking piece!

judy, Bronwen, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The photo frame puts it over the top.

6. Bookahtoo

They lightened his eyes in the photograph - very strange. He had dark brown eyes. The photo does look 1940s to me though.
    I'd say the case was closer to the 1950s.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

I brought this back to my friends store tonight. He offered it to me for $40, which is not unreasonable if I loved it and was going to keep it.
    But I had it all day, and spend about an hour cleaning it, and amused myself with it, and I'm happy to give it back to him. It's too darn BIG to display, at least in my house.

judy, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

From my look at newspapers, the picture frames started appearing in the mid-forties. But no matter when I looked, I found nothing like the molding on this fab piece.

Curious as to what's next to the picture?

9. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

It’s beautiful. But yes? What is next to the picture enquiring minds would like to know...

judy, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I'm going to make a "wild-eyed" guess but . . . I wonder if it could be an old/older funeral/mourning handkerchief, perhaps kept in the vanity box for sentimental reasons (carried by a family many years before?).

judy, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  11. Bookahtoo

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hair long and wavy. Topper-era (1937) or a bit beyond for Cary.

Debora

topper1.jpg

13. Jivvy

doh.gif

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

15. Jivvy

16. Bookahtoo

It's the same case - no mirror or photo inside though. :(

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should call your friend and tell him you reconsidered his offer. That one that sold for $73 on EBTH was not nearly as good as yours and the Cary Grant pieces are a game changer. Just sayin'. You know the peeps who come to your store and what they would pay for it.

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't tell you HOW many times I watch those TOPPER movies!!!!!!!!!!

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, Book. Is it Bakelite? It looks 1930s-40s to me.
    The photo frame is not original to the case imo, a very different style. But a nice bonus, what's not to like about Cary Grant?:)
    The mirror may not be original either, the design on the back is different from the design on the set. And why have two mirrors? Does the hand mirror fit in between the bands on the lid?

judy likes this.
  20. Bookahtoo

Draft saved Draft deleted