Featured YOU'VE PROBABLY SEEN ENOUGH GERMAN MUGS, BUT....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aquitaine, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

DH doesn't remember if he brought this back from Germany in the very early '60's or not, but am curious if anyone can ID it.....I haven't a clue.......5 1/4" tall, 4 1/2" across base, whisker less than 3" across top, no cracks or nicks that I can see...........and I haven't a clue what the "05" means in the first image either!! MANY, MANY Thanks for any help or leads you can provide!!! I'm ALWAYS grateful to you ALL!!:kiss:

ZZZZMUG1.jpg
    ZZZZMUG2.jpg
    ZZZZMUG3.jpg
    ZZZZMUG4.jpg
    ZZZZMUG5.jpg

ZZZZMUG6.jpg

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Understandable. Many of us don't remember much from the early 60s.

ascot, dgbjwc, UncleChuckTX and 3 others like this.
  4. Aquitaine

OH!!! My Goodness!!! Thank you SO MUCH, SiS!!!!!:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss: Oh MOST Knowledgeable One!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing: Now to rough out a date, which I think has the possibility of not being too too old. But who knows!!! Anybody know what that smallish rectangular hole is in the top of the handle??? Could it possibly have had a lid at one time????

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This site says that mark dates 1880s.
    http://stein-collectors.org/library/articles/marks/marks.htm
    I believe the hole in the handle is so that a lid can be attached using a sort of prong and strap but not necessarily that one ever was. I have also seen somewhere it called a vent hole but I don't remember where and I'm away from my books at the moment.

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

German mugs on a german mug.

Aquitaine, UncleChuckTX, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Numbers at the top are capacity, so measure--half a liter?

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

problem with the smaller manufacturers is that they delivered copies to bigger companies like Gerz etc. IF they survived somehow. from the whole making including script, Made in Germany etc., it could be later than 60s.

judy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

I wrote to the email address provided, and they sent back this!! Although I prefer the date that @say_it_slowly provided MUCH better!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: I don't know how I missed it when scrolling through EACH and EVERY one, but I managed to.....theirs is also green they are showing....and the handle is more decorative than mine.....plus of course the lid.....which I believe the little rectangle is an "anchor point" for!! At least now I can pass it on to a nephew with information stuffed inside it!!!:happy::happy::happy: Thank You again especially SiS and @janetpjohn!!

zzzzzzMatthias Girmscheid Stein Catalog.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    judy and UncleChuckTX like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted