Z.S.&CO Bavaria Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Armando0831, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg Got this about 5 moths ago and I just loved the hand painting on this. There's no cracks, chips or any other damage to this piece. The mark has this piece being made between 1880 - 1918. Hard to believe that it's still in great condition. Got this for $4.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. Armando0831

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  4. Armando0831

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I doubt it's hand painted.

6. Bakersgma

I agree with you, moreotherstuff. Just wanted to make sure Joe knew the name of the decoration.

7. Armando0831

I'm just not seeing the detail of it being a transfer.

8. Bakersgma

What "detail" would you be looking for in a transfer?

9. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg
    I guess the same detail as modern transfers, the outline of the images, etc. I did take some pics under magnification. Upon doing so, I did notice some dots in the clothing, not indicative of hand painting.

spirit-of-shiloh and antidiem like this.
  10. Bakersgma

That's why I asked. Glad you see it now.

11. Armando0831

Now the question is, is it a real turn of century Bavaria vase but not hand painted?

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it is a real turn of the century Bavarian vase. But it is not a particularly fine turn of the century Bavarian vase. It was a mass-produced decorative piece back then, and it is the same today. It has the charm of its age and it does seem to be in very good condition. It probably spent most of its existence in someone's china cabinet. It's not a high ticket item, though you can probably make a profit on your $4.

Armando0831 likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

What moreotherstuff said.

14. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

zeh, scherzer & co was never top class. they were massproducing, 60 % went to the States, some models were even made exclusively for the US.
    when you search a bit around you'll find these vases for 20 - 30 $.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think that's generous. More like $12-$15 is about the best I would expect on eBay (but then you have to add on the shipping).

16. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Many of the 1880s-1930, hand decorated china or porcelain used a technique some times called mixation, that is a transfer print (of original art) enhanced with hand painted highlights. The white highlights in your our vase appear to be raised and hand painted giving the casual viewer the impression of hand painting.

Draft saved Draft deleted