Featured 15k bangle, is it old?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Oct 1, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I found this today for $20 and had it tested twice. There are no markings on it whatsoever. However, it acid tested strongly positive at 14k and then I had it electronically scanned and it was 15k. It was made of gold, silver, and copper. It weighs in at 21 grams! The one thing I am stumped on is does it appear to be older or more modern? I myself can't tell and was wondering what you all thought? The little chain part looks to have been added in later...?
    20191001_151527_resized.jpg 20191001_151706_resized.jpg 20191001_151641_resized.jpg 20191001_151554_resized.jpg 20191001_151550_resized.jpg 20191001_151617_resized.jpg 20191001_151623_resized.jpg

scoutshouse, aaroncab and Xristina like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Depends on what you consider "modern",probably newer than the 1970's."diamond cut" and someone added the safety chain at a later date.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was going to say 1970s/80s.
    With that bright cut probably European.

ACP, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The 15k makes me think British, but the lack of marks makes me wonder. Then again, with Asian stuff ... who knows. I think the safety is original; someone might add that, but I can't see them adding the heart and key too.

scoutshouse, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if they added the chain it was poorly....and there's already a well placed safety catch that's original .....

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd agree on 1970s, but not British, it's too heavy to be missing hallmarks.

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I have a 14k bangle with a similar cut decoration that is not marked either. I was on Reddit asking about it and someone said they owned to a T the one I had in the early 90s and don’t recall it being marked either. I’ve been wondering where mine originated from with zero marks. I bought it at a reputable auction and acid tested it myself. I’ve not been able to sell it yet at the price I’m asking. I assume because it’s not marked. Mine is smaller than yours at 5g or so.

You made an absolutely incredible buy!

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The added chain looks well done to me. Ladies often have 2 safety catches on a gold bracelet. I love the look of both of these safety clasps.

What a beauty! Thanks for showing this lovely bracelet!

ACP likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

enlarge the last photo
    the solder is a blob on the left
    the ring on the right has opened up
    neither are quality signs...

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot easily enlarge it, but will take your word for it, Komo. I can sort of see that the jump ring has been sprung open? I thought the lock and key heart on it was a nice touch. I'm sure it would have been better if the part the artisan was attaching it to, was not hollow. I still like this bracelet. I've collected a few of these hollow metal bracelets inexpensively through the years, and am now wondering if mine could be gold too..

Thanks for showing this lovely bracelet, @spartcom5 :cat:

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted