Featured 1960s(?) cardboard jointed stick puppets - do you know these characters?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, May 26, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got these 12 puppets with a bunch of other paper stuff from the 40s through 70s today. The characters look familiar but I can't place them. The only mark I see is a R (registered) mark on each one.

DSCN0949.JPG

DSCN0950.JPG

DSCN0947.JPG

DSCN0951.JPG

DSCN0952.JPG

DSCN0954.JPG

DSCN0955.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW! Some look familiar as in Mother Goose stories and whatever similar but can't pin any of them down. Sorry.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Thanks King.
    They are all pretty repulsive, if you ask me. :D:p

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There's at least a couple, maybe 2 or 3 story lines in the group. Pirates - the obvious one, plus the 2 with short striped shirts, the rooster, the one with the sabre in his belt plus, maybe, the wolf far left top row (but that's only because his outfit seems to match the rooster but he could belong to the barnyard group too.) Barnyard - Dog, rabbit and donkey plus the horse sheriff. That leaves the clown and the parrot. The parrot could go with the pirates, but the clown has no logical connection to the others that I can see.

That parrot and the donkey look so familiar, but I can't think of why. (Not to mention that if these are from the 60's, I was in HS and college for much of the decade, so it's not like I played with anything like this. ;) )

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I'll leave it to you, Bookahtoo, to decide but . . . is it possible that the hen (chicken) is "Clara Cluck" (the "dancing hen") from/by Disney?

On the other hand, she looks a bit "Carmen Miranda"-ish to me, but obviously substituting flowers for fruit on her head.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Could be CM but I'm not checking to see if she's wearing undies... ;)

Messilane likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

She doesn't look very hen-ish with that beak, though. And with green body and red head and tail feathers, I would think parrot or parrot-like. Artistic license notwithstanding.

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct, Bakersgma, it is not a hen/chicken. :shame:

Oh well, I think I'll again mention "Carmen Miranda" as a possible "inspiration" for the figure. ;)

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

On that we are definitely in agreement, yourturn!

10. Bookahtoo

What do you think it means that they are registered rather than copyrighted? Anything?
    Do you think this was a generic cartoon character set for a classroom perhaps?

KingofThings likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

These (I think) used to have a cardboard cutout shaped like a stage , I vaguely remember them from like a birthday party or something.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Seems to me that if they were Disney items they'd be marked as such. Disney was always fanatic about that sort of thing. Could have been from some kind of short subject or comic book, though.

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I wonder if they're Tex Avery characters.

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

My DH and I think they're generic figures, not from any of the major animation studios.

If they were Disney or Warner Bros, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't have a copyright notice on them. Plus they don't look right for those studios.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I love these! Probably because they take me straight back to childhood, being so brightly coloured and expressive... I'm a child of the 60s ;-). They have something of a 'Looney Tunes' style to them in my eyes, and the 'Carmen Miranda' figure could possibly be a parrot? I used to have 1960s children's books that were illustrated with cartoons like these, but they were generic as others have said. Possibly they are from a puppet theatre set, or were collectible through cereal packets etc? We did a lot of collecting in the 60s...

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone.

Now - do you think I'd do better putting them on ebay or pricing them and putting them in my B & M?

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, I thought in a matter of minutes I could ID these cartoon characters. Boy, was I wrong. I haven't found a one. I agree that supposedly Carmen Miranda character as being a parrot, Brazilian parrot. The closest I could come to one was back in the 1940s Disney came up with a **male** Brazilian parrot character called José "Joe" Carioca. He used this character in the travel documentary of South America, film, Saludos Amigos, South of the Border. It was in answer to Rockerfellow's Office of Inter-American Affairs call for improved relations Latin America. This character appears in several of Disney's films. Nowwww this was a male character. I really doubt Disney would have presented a cross-dressed, transvestite, back in "them-thar-days."

http://screened.blogspot.com/2005/10/saludos-amigos.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Carioca
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Joe...0FoykgwTHhYOYDg&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=591

Weren't these types of cut-outs called dancing something?

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I was thinking Foghorn Leghorn but when I googled him, he's not the right color and the other animals don't match.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I too searched high & low .....nothing even came close !

Book....It think eBay the better choice.:sorry:

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wow, those really do look familiar... maybe a knock off of something else, or other?

To me these look earlier than 1960s in style. I was thinking 1940s or 1950s.

Fig

gregsglass and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted