Featured 2 handled vase by Meta Fuller-1st American Harlem Renaissance Sculptress

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Feb 12, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Finally found who created Our plaster (yes-plaster) amphora we've had for 30 years ! I always thought it was a maquette or casting model.Found a sold one on Invaluable-also plaster.
    PS-This was dashed by a sweet little fellow we were baby sitting & I glued it back together- (time to retouch the resto).
    PSS- Always thought abt casting this in bronze

Pot1.jpg Pot2.jpg Pot3.jpg Pot4.jpg Sculptress-Vauxwarrickfuller.jpg

META VAUX WARRICK FULLER VASE -2 FIGURE HANDLES-AMERICAN HARLEM RENAISSANCE ARTIST 1877- 1968. FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE SCULPTOR OF IMPORTANCE. WOMAN & MAN KNEELING 10" X 8 1/2". #100 INCISED MARK ILLEGIBLE. IT IS MADE OF PLASTER. VIEW ALL PICTURES FOR CONDITION.
    She was an African-American artist who celebrated Afrocentric themes. At the fore of the Harlem Renaissance, Warrick was known for being a poet, painter, theater designer, and sculptor of the black American experience. At the turn of the 20th century, she had achieved a reputation as the first black sculptress and was a well-known sculptor in Paris before returning to the United States.[1] Warrick was a protégée of Auguste Rodin, and has been described as "one of the most imaginative Black artists of her generation."[2] Through adopting a horror-based figural style and choosing to depict events of racial injustice, like the lynching of Mary Turner, Warrick used her platform to address the societal traumas of African Americans.[3]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    kentworld, Any Jewelry, Rec and 10 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I LOVE that !

Rec likes this.
  3. bosko69

Isn't it a beauty,I always thought naively,because of the kneeling women handles,that it was a Van Briggle.Didn't realize that it was a historic piece made by an early African American woman artist and is considered part of the Harlem Renaissance.
    Today,Google Lens finally delivered !

kentworld, Any Jewelry and Rec like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I didn't even spot those. Was too taken by the overall resemblance to some mothers, arms akimbo, saying, "I am going to be on you like white on rice!"

Rec likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning, bosko, and I'm glad you finally found the artist. She deserves the credit.
    Can't decide if it's a sculpture or a vase, but who cares, the combination is amazing. A true artist's piece.

6. bosko69

The other identical piece i found on an auction site is also made of plaster,so having no function other than beauty,i suppose it's art.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted