Featured A New Sword

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by GreekAntiques, Dec 31, 2022.

1. GreekAntiques

GreekAntiques "Wisdom begins in wonder." Socrates

Antiquers,

Greetings on the eve of 2023. I recently acquired a number of items from Indonesia. Amongst these is a blade I want to share with you.

As you will see from the pictures below, it comes with a scabbard and braided rattan carrying loop.

The single-edged blade is iron, beautifully forged and decorated with intricate incisions and fretwork. It is very heavy and shockingly sharp.

The hilt is made of carved organic material, ivory in color but not, I assume, of elephantine origin, and adorned with tufts of hair of different colors. The accounts I have read indicate that these would traditionally been deer horn and dyed goat hair. There is dark gold wire wrapped around the bottom of the hilt.

The scabbard is made of two lightweight panels of wood lashed together with strips of tough dried plant material. Tufts of hair, colored ivory, red and black, adorn the length of the scabbard, affixed by a dark, dried once sticky material.

There is a second, shorter sheath on the back of the scabbard from which a brand-new braided carrying loop emerges.

Age is, of course, impossible to determine, but I strongly suspect that the various components are of different vintages.

My research reveals that it is from Indonesia or perhaps Malaysia, most likely a Dayak sword. Whether it is a mandau or parang ilang or jimpul, I do not know, and look forward to hearing from you regarding the proper name and place of origin.

Combined length: 31 inches (78.74 cm). Width of scabbard: 1.5 inches. Circumference of scabbard: 6.5 inches. Length of sword: 29 inches (73.66 cm). Length of blade: 23 inches. Width of blade at base: .8 inches. Width of blade at widest point: 1.5 inches.

Pictures are below, hopefully featuring enough detail. I await with great interest your observations.

I wish you and your families a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year, wherever you may be.

IMG_5819.jpg IMG_5812.jpg IMG_5812.jpg IMG_5802.jpg IMG_5808.jpg IMG_5805.jpg IMG_5813.jpg IMG_5816.jpg IMG_5818.jpg IMG_5809.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Dayak Mandau......missing it's whittling knife ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Figtree3, sabre123 and Potteryplease like this.
  3. GreekAntiques

Thank you, @komokwa ! I thought that was likely but wanted to be sure. Much appreciated, as always.

Looking at the picture immediately above, is the blade to the right the whittling knife you refer to?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  5. GreekAntiques

@komokwa I have been informed (by a very knowledgeable source) that this is a piece made for sale, not for use, and is not very old. Mid-20th century, sadly. My source also told me that collectors would call it a mandau, but that locals would call it a parang ilang. I am indebted.

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted