Featured African art number two

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by gerspee, Oct 10, 2021.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Very nice piece off hand carved stone art from Africa and maybe signed ? Made by the looks off it from one piece off stone (what stone? ) and signed maybe with two initials ?

So who is able to tell me more ? 2021_10_10_00_00_IMG_4001 (Middel).JPG 2021_10_10_00_00_IMG_4002 (Middel).JPG 2021_10_09_23_59_IMG_3997 (Middel).JPG 2021_10_10_00_00_IMG_4004 (Middel).JPG 2021_10_10_00_00_IMG_4003 (Middel).JPG

Firemandk, judy and Boland like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very cool and more unique. Men playing cards (Ha Ha,or maybe it is a “new age sculpture’ and they are on their phones) Think this is from a single piece of soapstone? Yes looks like Vb (might be difficult to find the artist)But very cool

judy likes this.
  3. gerspee

And just try to make this from one single piece off stone :confused: But any idea from what area in Africa ?

4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

IMHO I see two men sitting on a park bench playing cards. Could have been made anywhere, Unless you received it from Africa? The carving is very well done and I like it.
    Mikey

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would not call this "tribal" by any stretch.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe they're playing "Battleships" on their "iStones" :joyful::joyful::hilarious::hilarious::happy::):smuggrin::p:D:D:D

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  7. gerspee

The figurines are African by the looks off it and the whole way off carving is similar with ones from Africa . So me think made in Africa but country ?

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Zimbabwe is known for a variety of types of stone used in carvings, including a variety of colors of serpentine which look similar to your piece. You will find examples by searching for "Shona" stone carvings. (Not all are made by Shona carvers, but the name more describes the artistic movement.)

https://www.thesculpturepark.com/shona-sculpture/

This carving, as well as your previous post, look to be East African at least - somewhere between Kenya and Zimbabwe. Carvers in Kenya have used more of the local kisii stone, which tends to be lighter in color.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted