Featured Age and Maker of USA 5Qt Bean Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by morgen94, Dec 5, 2020.

1. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I believe the USA pottery mark was used by a few (several?) potteries. Can anyone identify the pottery from which this bean pot originated and the approximate age? I assume the Oven Proof indicates a later date. The bit of research I did seems to indicate it might be McCoy. Is that a possibility?

I want to offer it for free and would like to help offload it by having a more precise description. Thank you!
    USABeanPotAll.jpg
    USABeanPotMarksLid.jpg
    USABeanPotMarkOrig.jpg
    USABeanPotMarkTweaked.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

3. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh. McCoy would have been my last guess. Thank you.

komokwa, morgen94 and i need help like this.
  4. morgen94

Thank you VERY much for the confirmation.

ulilwitch and komokwa like this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There were four sizes, a canister set, but of course they could have been used for cookies or whatever.

6. ulilwitch

Could someone please put a photo up of this set. I cannot find it anywhere. Thank you.

7. morgen94

I, too, was unable to find a photo of a bean pot canister set and the only McCoy canister set I found was this milk-can-style set.

6BAD4C2F-5F0E-4995-B75D-DF72D6A7DE87.jpeg

ulilwitch likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't recall a bean pot canister set but McCoy certainly produced bean pots. The milk can canisters were used primarily for McCoy's Bicentennial set which is relatively easy to find. The Bicentennial line also includes a bean pot although the mark had changed by then.

The mark was used from 1968 to 1974 according to the McCoy Pottery Collector's Society.

Bean pots aren't that popular among collectors and tend to be expensive to ship so I'd try and give it away through Facebook marketplace or a similar venue. For free and with local pickup you shouldn't have any trouble moving it. It's generous of you. So many people try and suck every nickel out of McCoy that they can.

10. morgen94

Thank you dbgjwc and janetpjohn for the photo and additional information. I admit to being surprised they would even consider using that bean pot shape for canisters, as it seems so precious-space-consuming to have a line of those big bulbous shapes on your kitchen counter.

Re the shipping, I did, indeed, offer it on a local site and it is being picked up by someone on Wednesday morning. We are moving in about a year and I have an unbelievable amount of stuff I won’t take with me, but don’t want to throw away. Unfortunately, Covid brought the local church rummage sales to a screeching halt, so as boxes of giveaways piled up I tried this. It is still a bit of a nuisance to send many “thanks for asking”emails to all inquirers, then “sorry, I drew the name of someone else...” emails. I am, nonetheless, happy the items will be rehomed.

Thanks!

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. ulilwitch

Draft saved Draft deleted