Featured Age of chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sepia, May 26, 2019.

1. Sepia

Sepia Member

I have recently acquired this metamorphic library chair which had been painted black. I've stripped it back to its original oak, then a bit of wax. Person I bought it from said it dated from the late 1700's. I don't think this is right, I favour middle 1800's at earliest. Anybody got an opinion? morph chair 1.JPG morph chair 2.JPG morph chair 3.JPG morph chair 1.JPG morph chair 2.JPG morph chair 3.JPG

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That's way cool. What a work of love to strip all those parts down. I hope that it has the age you think. Hopefully, the furniture experts will have some feedback. @James Conrad - do you find this interesting?

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, it's english, kind of a medieval/gothic revival style on chair, I don't think 1700s, more likely late 19th early 20th century.
    You did a good job on refinish, looks good.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else your instincts were right. Awesome job on paint stripping. Any advice on how you stripped it, what materials, and how long it took?

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to slight @verybrad, who I admire greatly, it is just that James Conrad seems to like unusual furniture.

Aquitaine, judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No, of course not. I just wanted to put our other furniture guru on the case. :)

Aquitaine, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

is the hardware replacement stuff or was it on it ?
    I must say I have a bit a problem with this library ladder chairs because they are still available new.
    if old at all then it's historicism with a touch of neo gothic. 1860s to 1910.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's neat !!

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's WONDERFUL!!! Great stripping job!!! my guess would be mid 1800's!!

Michael77 likes this.
  11. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

skinner
    Reformed Gothic Oak Metamorphic Chair/Library Steps
    $558
    [​IMG]
    yours is nicer

nother 1
    [​IMG]

still like yours

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am with Fid. Am thinking circa 1870 but could see how this could go into the 20th century.

i need help and Fid like this.
  13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I wonder if it might be a "Chancel" chair from a church, as in the chair a pastor/minister would sit in near the altar while the choir was singing.

The symbolism makes me think it might be. The cross at the top of the middle "cutouts" and then the shield (soldiers of God), and then at the bottom a symbol for the trinity.

Michael77 and i need help like this.
  14. Sepia

Sepia Member

Hardware is original. I've changed nothing other than removing the thick treacle like paint job and giving a few layers of wax to revive it

komokwa likes this.
  15. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Not to be a downer, but the skinner price is from 2004, and prices have come down a lot since then.

What did you use to remove paint, how long, and would you do it again?

16. Sepia

Sepia Member

Hi Jeff, this may turn up twice but it seems to have disappeared, so:
    Because of the thick treacle-like varnish/paint, I first got it professionally dipped, then used proprietary paint stripper (Nitromors), then sanding, then applied chill wax to restore the wood. Still needs more buffing but looking good. How long did it take - for ever, would I do it again, of course.

Jeff Drum, Fid and komokwa like this.
  17. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

i am paying less for the item these days but i am getting rode extra hard on shipping costs. i think the same money just goes in a different pockets. less for the item owner and more for the intermediaries. isn't that the way capitalism works though.

18. komokwa

it's the way the WWW economy works.....
    That thing u want is in Texas...& has been there for 70 years....but you're in Maine...30 years ago, you would never had a chance to see it , now it's on your screen.....but if you want it .....you can drive to Texas.....or have someone drive it to Maine..........for a price !!!

19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I would add that period medieval furniture is "HOT" at the moment. A dealer in England that deals exclusively in early oak sent me an email with a small gothic english wall cupboard he had just acquired, it was sold within a day! I never had a chance to even consider it.
    English Oak Gothic wall cupboard, C 1450

Gothic-Cabinet_1-1-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Darkwing Manor and komokwa like this.
  20. komokwa

I would add, that with dates that far back......one better know their stuff before falling on it !!
    Gee...ya gotta be an expert ....don't ya ??

Dawnno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted