Featured Age of Iris bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Dec 20, 2023.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Charity Shop buy for £4. 16 inches long. I’m a bit confused about its age. Looking up Damart they are a 1950s onwards thermal clothing factory and I thought these iris/rainbow beads were likely to be Deco 1930s into 40s.
    I can see faux pearls online from Damart, quoted as 50s-60s with this same makers tag, but can’t find any other iris beads though. I wonder if they were restrung later using the Damart tag and are not Damart? What do you think? Thanks.
    IMG_3751.jpeg IMG_3755.jpeg IMG_3761.jpeg

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

FAB beads! Definitely Iris glass as you stated. Are they all hand knotted, or is that just the bead by the clasp? I see in the photo above the bead to the right of the clasp hand knotted, is the one to the left of the clasp hand knotted too? If one side done, the other not, likely someone did use that Damart finding to fix this. Does the spring ring closure match the Damart signed finding in color perfectly? If not, would be another thing to suggest a repair was done.

That said, I don't think it matters much either way! Someone will want this for the wonderful glass beads. Very nice find!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Good thinking Lucille.The final iris beads are knotted before and after on both sides of the catch none of the rest are knotted but the spring ring has lost all of the gold coloured plating although the Damart part hasn’t. So still a bit odd that the wear isn’t the same both sides. As you say it probably doesn’t matter that much as they are so pretty.
    IMG_3769.jpeg

kyratango, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve a vague remembrance of Damart either giving away or bundling jewellery with clothing sales.

Houseful and Dessert58 like this.
  5. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

This won't be of any help for you, but where I live 'Damart' is known for its cosy but old fashioned fashion. Every grandma I knew in the day had a camel colored indoor vest of this brand. It was very popular for the granny s in the '80s and '90s.
    Not cheap though. I believe they sometimes gave free jewelry away with a purchase. Same as the Yves Rocher brand.
    Ohhhh those memories :D

Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I went to Chicago and Boston one freezing January. I was rather glad of me thermals.

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted