Featured An Impressively Large Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shwikman, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Came across this today, about 11 feet long. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get very detailed photos of underside. Not sure if it’s authentically old but it’s pretty cool none the less, IMO anyway.
    9C12119F-8538-465A-9382-8818B914058C.jpeg 7B7063CB-6C9C-44CA-A7B8-750320A22660.jpeg 4CC4F8F3-2F34-4F96-AB4E-1B5CA83C12E6.jpeg A9C8D434-039A-48C7-AA41-A3CBFD2143EF.jpeg E1E147C1-3605-4A1E-8218-19BC2759ED5D.jpeg 7B7B438C-9859-480A-B265-CACA067D96A7.jpeg

Joan, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Wood looks old, and it may be (possibly from a dismantled barn). But the table itself almost certainly put together recently from used wood, and deliberately aged. For use by those who care more about the "look" than the actual "history".

Ghopper1924, judy and Fid like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think it's authentic...and a work table from a commercial business..

Ghopper1924, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks right to me as well. Likely carpenter made for a specific space.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Well, let's put it this way, it wasn't built by a professional furniture maker. Whether it was put together from lumber 100 years ago, or 10 years ago, is hard to say. Look at the ends - one is breadboard, the other is not - never would be done by a furniture maker. Exposing the thin center boards on one end is also not acceptable work. The legs and rails, and the table edges, look to be all the same moulding - again not something typically done by a furniture maker, but commonly done by someone finding a bunch of old wood and putting a table together. Plus there is a plug in the edge of one of the center pieces that would only occur by someone re-using old wood. And the last pic shows worm holes that have been planed through - a sure sign of re-used wood.

Carpenter made I agree with, just can't say when for sure.

verybrad likes this.
  6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I like the table whether old or made to look old, but just wanted to add that worm holes can be found in unused lumber. My husband is a woodworker and has made cabinets and furniture from unused wormy butternut boards that we bought at an auction. There are lumber companies that sell wormy lumber of various types. Some of the worm/insect damage can occur before trees are cut, and some during storage.

Fid likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Good point. Not sure that even a competent carpenter would have done it this way. Makes me wonder if this wasn't even longer at some point.

8. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Love it! Would fit just right in my workshop! :)

9. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

I too love the table. Looks like it was maybe a table from an old tavern like the one my 3rd great grandfather had in Pa. The knife marks were made by men sitting around with nothing else to do. Also, look at the inserted piece. Looks like a piece that was set in where a door lock had been at one time for a barn. I say barn because of the length of the pieces of wood. PS: Can anyone tell me how the get rid of the black square at the beginning of each blog. I can long in, but it still keeps coming up. Can't find on the menu where to address this question. Thank you, friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted