Featured Another one of my toys, White Showers Inc. Lawn Sprinkler.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hamptonauction, Nov 11, 2019.

1. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

Nobody bid on this, I thought that it was a neat sprinkler, so I bought it. I plan on refinishing it. It was made by the White Showers Inc., Detroit Mich. Patent dated March 25 1930.

It's a piston actuated hydraulic oscillating lawn sprinkler. A very clever design, see the patents below.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1751641?oq=white+showers+sprinkler+detroit
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US1751640?oq=white+showers+sprinkler+detroit

...and here is a video of one in operation, sprinkling a lawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqT7tM19Xg

white showers 1.jpg white showers 2.jpg white showers 3.jpg white showers 4.jpg

Andre

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Love to see this in action, always liked the tractor sprinklers but this one takes the cake!

<edit> just watched the vid - cool!:eggface:

Michael77, komokwa, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hampton, I think it will look like a WEAPON in your front yard!

4. hamptonauction

I see what you mean, and it will look nice and shiny when I'm done, making it look even more formidable.

Michael77, Rayo56, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

At first, I thought it rolled around like a roomba! Very cool and soothing :)

Michael77, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Uhh...would that be DETROIT MICH? Or just some other miscellaneous Detroit? Love it. Looks like small artillery but brings back memories of hot summer days & running though sprinklers with other neighborhood kids in our baggy cotton swim wear.

7. hamptonauction

OOPS. Thanks for the correction.

scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oh boy, displaying that on your porch you may just get a visit from the police - LOL! "Honest officer, it's just a sprinkler!" ;)
    upload_2019-11-11_15-19-44.jpeg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  9. hamptonauction

It does look menacing.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

For sure!

Back in the ancient 1970's I found one of these Victorian vacuums in a garbage can in Chelsea, walking home from a rock concert ...easiest way to carry it was "shouldered" so all was good till Special Branch spotted me marching along merrily ...next thing I heard was "Hands up" and "Put down the weapon" ...rest of the story is too embarrassing for the officers concerned, but to teach me a lesson, they confiscated my "find" :mad:

[​IMG]

SBSVC, Ghopper1924, patd8643 and 5 others like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'll bet they still use it at the station house !!! :playful::playful::playful::playful:

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Love this sprinkler, and a great story from Blooey!

Excellent twofer.

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted