Antique jewelry box with Godey print

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris1948, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the jewelry forum so I opted for here.

My wife found this jewelry box on one of our Galveston trips. It's 9 3/4"L x 7 3/4" W x 2 1/2" H. There is a Godey print under the glass on the top. I thought the print was the same as the photo to the right of the box however the dress on the woman on the right is different in both prints.

DSC07279-1.JPG godeys-print.jpeg DSC07281-2.JPG DSC07300-1.JPG DSC07301.JPG

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny...the images are the same...xcept for that minor difference to the dress.....
    hummm...

Christmasjoy and Chris1948 like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    These jewelry boxes were very popular in the 40s. There were all kinds of prints used for decorations, I doubt that it is an original print. You are lucky the mirror is in such good shape. Enjoy a "blast from the past". I have several under a piece of furniture most likely a bit dusty.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

Christmasjoy, judy and Chris1948 like this.
  4. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks, I doubt too that it's original. For one thing it looks like the bottom where it usually has the name of the print is cut off and also it almost appears to be a pencil drawing but you can see a slight bit of color in the women's hair decorations. I have a couple more framed Godey's prints that I doubt are original either but I'll post in I guess the art forum.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Made by Artwood Products of Terra Haute, Indiana.

I have one that I took photos of tonight, but mine has a rather raucous party. ;):p:rolleyes::eek::D:D

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and Chris1948 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The difference in the skirts in the woman on the right is strange... I wonder how the designer of the box came to the decision to do that?

I am fond of that type of fashion plate print. Could see myself using a jewelry box like that.

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and Chris1948 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted