Antique Mahagony Mantle Clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brubaker50, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Dont have any photos yet but could someone let me know if a Lyre shape cut out of the back of a mantle clock would suggest French .Will have the clock in a couple of days to have a better look then any help appreciated thank you.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Perhaps @afantiques can help you. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I am sure he could help, but if the OP is going to get the clock shortly, I guess the question may prove to be academic ;). Hopefully the movement and case will answer the query.

But I would go along with the reasoning that a lyre cut out could indicate a french designed case.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Have you googled that question?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Nope, but there were many lyre shaped french clocks, stands to reason that the back of the case could have a lyre shape cutout.

All I'm saying is that the OP should soon know from examination of the clock once received, at which point speculation becomes academic. ;)

6. Brubaker50

Thank you for all your replies heres the photos of the clock I picked up greatly appreciated all the very friendly help on these boards. P1040120.JPG P1040120.JPG P1040121.JPG P1040122.JPG

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

At a glance, the dial & movement look German. Design elements were very international - a nicely designed oak case. Makings on the movement should help ID country.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Brubaker50

Thank you for looking will have a look around the clock see if I can see any markings.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Brubaker50

Hello I had another look at the clock and its Oak thought it was mahagony when I first saw it.Possible maker is German Lenzkirch who were known for their movement and fancy cases .

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It may be Winterhalder and Hoffmeir. Their mark is usually W&H, SCH. Middle base of backplate. Lenzkirch usually signed movements with full name.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Brubaker50

Hi thanks for all the replies I actually have a Winterhalder and Hoffmeir movement in my garage have had it for a number of years .The brass plate is heavy duty on that movement thicker than I have seen on any clock .Lenzkirch as far as I have learned didn't sign all their clocks for export this looks like it could be that type .

Draft saved Draft deleted