Featured Antique set from Denmark 1890's Garnets or Rubys? in 14k

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Karen A Givani, Feb 24, 2023.

1. 20230211_160132.jpg 20230211_161503.jpg 20230205_113109 (1)  necklace.jpg 20230211_155052.jpg 20230211_154431.jpg Hello all ,
    I am hoping someone can give me some informaiton regarding this set that was my Grandmothers, in Denmark, she wore in wedding picture, a very well known seamstress of 1890's made dresses for some elite Danish families in Fredericia Denmark. This is her set, 14k gold but not sure of stones or value etc. I also have the ring with it, maybe her wedding engagement ring, I believe has a ruby in it, and she wore it so the band actually broke, so thin at bottom from ware. Thank you so !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2023
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Mouth watering ! Hang on for our jewelry folks,they know everything !

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know everything, I just want everything. I think they will prove to be garnets, Bohemian garnets. Another name for a jewellery set with so many pieces is "parure."

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Stunning-don't get much more Victorian than that.Can If handy,You post the photo of your Grandmother wearing it ?

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Superb! Yes, as Bronwen said and her links, Bohemian garnets.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

value will be hard to nail down....and we don't really do that here , but can we see the 14 K gold mark , please.

9. bosko69

Karen-Whatever it's worth (which may be substantial),I hope it gets to stay in the family.But,it most definitely needs insuring.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.:)
    And not only Bohemian garnets, but it also looks Bohemian made.
    It would have been bought new for your Grandmother's wedding, and she must have looked stunning and very fashionable with it.

If your grandmother married in the second half of the 1890s, the screw earrings could just be of the period. Otherwise they replaced older hook earrings, which wasn't unusual.
    If Bohemian made, which is most likely, it isn't Victorian. Simply because the monarch of Bohemia of the time was not the British queen Victoria, but the Austro-Hungarian emperor-king Franz Joseph.
    So the term is either late 19th century Bohemian, or Austro-Hungarian.

If it wasn't Bohemian made, it could have been made in Denmark by a Bohemian goldsmith, during the reign of Christian IX.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    Figtree3, johnnycb09, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Stunning and timeless. That will never go out of style.

12. bosko69

This would be most definitely make a splash on Antiques Roadshow...if You wanted to let the whole planet know you had it (?!).

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Gablonz now Jablonec garnets, and almost certainly made there, too. Screams nineteenth century especially the crescent and star. Earrings are later.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted