Featured Antique Writing Box - A True Conundrum

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Sep 6, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

So, this is the fourth box that I bought from the same donation, where I got the tea caddy, the stationary box and the painter's box? My intention was to sell two to get the money to repair the others. This writing box is missing the sloped leather piece and the upper portion of the lock. (I'm not sure if that is the right key.) Otherwise, there is minor damage.

Looking at the price points for complete boxes, I am torn whether to try to find a replacement sloped piece, or to sell this box as is. I am good at refinishing furniture, but I am not a skilled carpenter. I can take it to the antique repair shop but that would add to my sunk cost without any idea if I could get my investment back. I don't even know if the sloped piece is available for purchase. So, I am looking for some advice. I found two similar boxes in complete condition, though different dimensions:
    Victorian Burr Walnut and Brass Bound Writing Box, 1860s for sale at Pamono
    Antique Writing Slope Desk Wood Brass Badge Design Old Document Box 10x20x6 | eBay

Mine is 18 inches long; 11 inches wide and 7 inches tall.

To repair or not to repair. Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_2800.JPG IMG_2802.JPG IMG_2805.JPG IMG_2806.JPG IMG_2807.JPG IMG_2810.JPG IMG_2811.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's certainly handsome. (That's all I got.)

Debora

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think its restoration needs are too great if the end plan is to sell it. You can see it was a beauty once. Have you not tried the key?

pearlsnblume, KikoBlueEyes and cxgirl like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Can you ask for a quote on the cost of repairs? I would just sell it as is and move on with repairing the 2 you are keeping:)

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I was completely overjoyed to see it sitting there. Too bad it lost its innards.

pearlsnblume and silverbell like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I'm feeling that way, but I hate to leave money on the table if it isn't too much work. Thanks for your vote. No. I have to try the key. Actually, I don't know which box it was originally for.

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

I could ask them. Their price point is usually pretty high. It's better if I go in and ask if they can do it for an amount. Thank for your vote. You make sense as usual.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch the repairs would cost as much as the box is worth restored. I'd probably keep it and put papers in it, in keeping with its original purpose.

9. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for you input. I am concerned about the cost too. It has to go though. It's too big for my space.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

To restore that properly is going to cost more than the box would be worth. This is one to leave alone. In the UK where these are still fairly numerous you can find them in similar condition at auction in group lots of boxes for not much money. Something in this condition would normally be used for spare parts.

11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I agree, I have one just like it somewhere.

12. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent insight. It needs to find a new home, then. I hail from Southern California, so they aren't many I suppose.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Davey. I so appreciate your thoughts. You have to handle all kinds of bits. I'll just post in for sale as is, and see if someone else wants to properly restore it.

Bronwen and daveydempsey like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

All I’ll add is that it’s actually a campaign style writing slope.

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. I wondered why it was so BIG. Not something that you would just carry in your travels. I never thought of a military use but that would make sense. Thank you very much.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

That brass bound style is the clue. It can be military use but more often was for colonial civil servants. The ones meant for the home were smaller and more decorated too.

17. KikoBlueEyes

What a fantastic source of information you are. I just assumed campaign equaled military. I love it was for civil servants because I spent 37 years of my working life being one. Thank you.

Bronwen and Ownedbybear like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That thing was made for road doggies! It's done its 30 and then some and deserves honorable retirement.

19. Ownedbybear

Here’s a rabbit hole to go down. Google army and navy store, and their catalogues. If you were a colonial civil servant or military man, that’s where you’d order your accoutrements.

My grandfather probably did just that. He lived in Liberia for three years and elsewhere, and when he married, both grandparents lived on the Gold Coast.

20. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've collected writing boxes for years, and yes, this is rough.

That said, it could be repaired/restored, if you had a mind to.

The leaves (the wooden slats that make up the writing surface) are easily measured & replaced. As is the skiver (the leather writing-top).

Just keep in mind that if you decide to do that, that the leaves are GLUED ONTO THE BOX using LEATHER or CLOTH HINGES.

There's no nails, and no screws. Only glue. Same goes for the skiver that goes over the top.

I've done all kinds of things to boxes like these. Cutting keys, replacing / gluing skivers, fixing the inkwells...it is a lot of effort, I won't lie.

A box in fully-working, restored condition can be worth a lot of money, but to get that money, it has to have everything going for it.

A lot of boxes like these were torn up and smashed in the 1900s when fountain pens became a thing, because it wasn't necessary to carry a whole box with you anymore, and they simply got forgotten about.

Draft saved Draft deleted