Featured Antiquers: Share Your Favorite Purchase Of 2020

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Dec 10, 2020.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very very nice everyone.

judy, cxgirl, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

This bracelet, a recent find. Heres the listing photo which I paid £10 plus post for, described as vintage brass bracelet. I assumed it was tarnished silver, turned out to be gold.

Screenshot_20201210-185843_compress14.jpg PXL_20201205_144122210.jpg

judy, quirkygirl, cxgirl and 18 others like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I make occasions, I have been doing quite a few Zoom meetings lately for some organizations I belong to and I always wear jools. I think she may want to attend my next meeting of the Cape Cod Antique Dealers Association ;)

TraceyB, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I agree this thread already has a lot of great goodies! You can't go wrong with gold, silver, or fine jewelry. @Ghopper1924 That is an impressive selection of furniture!

TraceyB, judy, cxgirl and 6 others like this.
  5. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Best antique-y thing I 'found' in 2020 was this web site and its forums! I've learned a ton and been thoroughly entertained. Thanks to everyone!

TraceyB, judy, cxgirl and 18 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Oh, I know she does. :joyful:

7. Bronwen

She would look great with your lamps. Better than three French hens any day.

TraceyB, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ally330

Ally330 Weekend thrifter

20201210_134317.jpg Not the stuff but the hutch itself. I grew up very poor and lived in trailers and apartments my whole life. My husband I worked very hard for our house. In 8 years I never considered something like a hutch. I never had anything so big growing up (it wouldn't fit). I bought this early Pennsylvania House Hutch with leaded gabled windows at an estate sale for $30. I love it so much. I could lose all the junk on it and not care one hoot as long as the hutch is fine. Its not the value of the hutch, its what it represents.

kentworld, TraceyB, judy and 19 others like this.
  9. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

This damaged piece was my favorite pick this year. I was first offered $2k and then $3k for it by the person that confirmed the maker, I still have it. This is the largest piece known to exist by the maker @ 15-1/2”. I bought this on a Sunday afternoon for $6.99, being a Sunday means it was there since at least 4pm the day before. It’s one of those pieces that I can’t stop looking at, it’s ruined me for lesser pieces for a while.
    FB413270-3768-4E23-A52E-2EA637C11DD9.jpeg

10. Bronwen

What does that work out to per pound/kilo?

judy, Ghopper1924 and anundverkaufen like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Oh I forgot. my favorite purchase, was not a purchase but a friend got it for me at sale she was at.
    It is an 1888 Cookbook.
    My oldest book I ever had. Not sure if I will ever sell it.

TraceyB, judy, cxgirl and 12 others like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So who's the maker?

13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Reminds me a bit of Weller Sicard. Very impressive piece whatever it is.

TraceyB, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  14. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Merrimac, of Newburyport, MA.

TraceyB, judy, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Ghopper1924 - The clocks you're hoping Santa smuggles down the chimney looks a lot like the Waterbury I sold back in 2013.

It was a large Waterbury clock with a porcelain face & a sweep second hand. This thing was huge & likely hung on the wall of a local jewelry store. It was part of the contents of a watchmaker's room that I bought about 8 years ago. I had no clue the clock was anything great & was more interested in what was inside all of the drawers of the probably 25+ cabinets. Not my cheapest buy as I gave $2300.00 for everything. The clock sold for over $3600.00 (I started the bidding at $200.00) & was sold as-is for parts or repair because I had no idea if it even worked.

The clock itself was 11 3/4" across & the pendulum was 40 1/2" top to bottom & 11 5/8" across.

It ended up going to someone in Iowa who was going to restore it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TraceyB, judy, Lucille.b and 7 others like this.
  16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@drg642 - I doubt that I would ever be able to sell that box. It is absolutely gorgeous!!!

TraceyB, judy, Ghopper1924 and 5 others like this.
  17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

For anyone who thinks this coin is offensive and not antique.

The coin is legal tender, struck and issued by the Royal Mint and approved by QEII, it displays her bust.

It is not representative of any political party.

The Royal Mint issued a Fifty Pence coin in 1998 commemorating the 25th anniversary of the UK's entry into the EU, I have that one also, is that offensive ?

It may not be antique however 80% of the items posted in this forum are not antique either.

It is a precious metal and is collectable and is part of my countries history.

I have coins featuring King Leopold of Belgium, Nazi Germany coins featuring the Swastika, Russian coins featuring Stalin, Spanish coins featuring General Franco, emblems of Fascism on Italian coins, I could go on.

You cannot delete history.

TraceyB, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Davey, this thread is about your favourite purchase of 2020, and this is yours. You have your reasons for that, just like everyone else has for theirs. The coin may not be antique, but it is linked to an event in history.

I am sad to see you Brits leave the EU, as are most Dutch. We are losing a strong ally in a union with a lot of difficulties. Now it is us and a few other small northern countries against the big guys. (And against anti-democratic, totalitarian tendencies. :inpain:) But that doesn't mean I feel any animosity towards any Brits, whatever they voted.
    This coin is an important symbol to you personally, and I respect that.

TraceyB, judy, kyratango and 7 others like this.
  19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Thanks AJ,
    It was reported this morning.

Political and offensive and non antique was mentioned.

I was the only Mod available.

I had to moderate my own post:eek::eek:

kentworld, TraceyB, judy and 6 others like this.
  20. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey @bercrystal:

Yes, very similar. Mine is (well, hopefully WILL BE) a Waterbury #8 floor model regulator. The height can vary from 98" to 106" depending on whether the detachable trim on the bottom is there or not.

I've heard of several prominent clock mavens in Iowa. Glad you got such a good deal on the "as-is" clock and assorted clock-related items. These Waterbury regulators are fine pieces; as you noted, often found in jewelry stores back in the (1890s) day. The #8 floor regulator goes for around $8K to $12K, depending on whether it's working or not (naturally :)), type of pendulum, etc. Believe me, Santa would not be considering this if I were paying the full tariff. ;)

TraceyB, judy and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted